In 2007 the City of Toronto entered into a 20-year agreement with Astral Media for the supply, manufacturing, installation and maintenance of 25,000 street furniture elements, including:
- transit shelters
- litter bins
- publication box corrals and kiosks
- postering structures
- information pillars
- automated public toilets.
The agreement provides Astral with advertising exclusivity on select transit shelters and information pillars. In return, the City benefits from free installation and maintenance of furniture, revenue sharing from advertising, and a number of other community benefits.
Overall Benefits of the Street Furniture Program
- 25,000 new pieces of furniture.
- A unique-to-Toronto design across the city, replacing several uncoordinated street furniture designs prior to 2006.
- More amenities for pedestrians.
- Reduced amount of advertising.
- Free public service advertising space for the City and BIAs.
- Revenue sharing from advertising.
- All at no cost to the City.
Additional Community Benefits