Apply for a pole banner, seasonal decorations, flower baskets or a road banner permit
A banner is a temporary sign that is suspended on, across or along a street, or a flag of non-rigid material that is suspended from a rigid arm fixed to a pole or utility pole in accordance with City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 743, Use of Streets and Sidewalks.
You can also apply for a pole banner, seasonal decorations, flower baskets or a road banner permit in-person by completing the Banner Application Form.
Once you decide to display street banners on utility poles, you have to contact Toronto Hydro and Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) directly for permission to use the poles at least 90 days prior to the date of the event. Once written approval is received from Toronto Hydro and TTC, the applicant must contact the City at least eight weeks prior to the date of the event for the permit to install the banners on the poles.
Anyone can apply to install banners on street poles.
Applications are subject to a non-refundable processing fee which must be paid when submitting the application and are valid for a maximum period of 60 days.
You can pay the permit fee by cash or cheque or money order payable to the Treasurer, City of Toronto. We also accept Debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
|Description||Application Fee||Permit Fee||Hoisting Fee|
|Charitable with no sponsorship||$88.43 + HST||No Fee||$48.58 + HST|
|Charitable with sponsorship||$88.43 + HST||$7.37 + HST per pole||$48.58 + HST|
|Non-charitable||$88.43 + HST||$14.73 + HST per pole||$48.58 + HST|
|BIA Only||$88.43 + HST||
All fees are subject to an annual inflationary increase based on the City’s User Fee Policy and change without prior notice.
If the City grants permission for the banner installation, the applicant will be responsible for costs associated in carrying out the following items.
- Additional costs incurred by the City for the removal of the banners (if the applicant fails to remove them).
- Cost of Certificate of Insurance to the City of Toronto.
The following information is required in order for the application to be considered:
- type of fabric of which the banner will be made
- show the names and identifying symbols of the sponsor(s)
- location of banners
- design of the banner and size
- hardware attachment specifications (wire cable, brackets or other supports and fastening devices)
- name, address and telephone number of the Installation company
- date(s) and time(s) for which the permit is required and date of removal
You may be refused a permit if the location requested has already been assigned to someone else or the poles requested are not suitable for the installation of banners.