A sidewalk sale is considered to be the display and sale of merchandise from a stand on the City sidewalk or boulevard fronting your store. This does not apply to shopping centres, plazas and malls.


You can also apply for a Sidewalk Sale permit in person by completing the Sidewalk Sale application form and submitting it to a Right-of-Way Management District office in your ward.

Only owners/occupants of the ground floor of the building designated for commercial/industrial purposes qualify to have a sidewalk sale.

Once you decide to have a sidewalk sale, you must advise the City of your proposal at least eight weeks before the actual date of your event. This will ensure that sufficient sidewalk or boulevard space to accommodate your display stand(s) so as not to impede pedestrian traffic.

You can pay the permit fee by cash or cheque or money order payable to the Treasurer, City of Toronto. We also accept Debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.


Description Sidewalk Sale Category Description Application Fee Permit Fee
Sidewalk Sale Permission to use the sidewalk, boulevard and/or curblane for the purpose of holding an event or staging required in preparation of an event. (Per event, max four 4 days) $128.98 + HST per application $386.89 + HST per event


All fees are subject to an annual inflationary increase based on the City’s User Fee Policy and change without prior notice.

If the City of Toronto grants permission to hold the sidewalk sale, the applicant will be responsible for the costs associated in carrying out the following items:

  • pay for additional costs incurred by the City
  • hire a private garbage collection company or arrange for volunteers to collect and remove garbage accumulated during and after the event
  • Provide a Certificate of Insurance to the City of Toronto

The application for a sidewalk sale can be denied if an objection cannot be resolved under the following situations:

  • written objection is received from an area resident or business proprietor directly affected by the sale
  • objection is received from a respondent to the circulation of the application

The applicant has the right to appeal the refusal of the application by writing to Community Council outlining the reasons why the application meets the criteria of the by-law.