Phase 2 of the project, which included demolishing the existing North Market building and conducting further archaeological assessments to conserve any artifacts or structures that are of historical value or interest, was completed April 2017.
During Phase 2, the archaeological team discovered evidence of the early market buildings on site dating from the 1820, 1831, 1851 and 1904 periods including central drains, lateral brick and stone drains, market walls, storage cellars and support columns. A wide range of artifacts have also been recovered, including pottery, tools, and a glass bottle produced by Toronto pharmacist J.J McLaughlin, who invented Canada Dry ginger ale.
Following a competitive process, City Council granted authority to award a contract to the recommended bidder. The contract is currently with the City’s legal services for review. The construction of the new market building is anticipated to take 30 months to complete.
The North St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment project is taking place in three phases.