The North St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment project is taking place in three phases. The project is currently in Phase 3, construction of the new North Market Building.
On May 15, 2019, City Council approved the awarding of a contract for the construction of the new St. Lawrence Market North building at 92 Front St. to The Buttcon Limited/The Atlas Corporation Joint Venture. Construction of the new market began in July 2019. The building is expected to be completed and operational by spring 2022 subject to contractor progress.
More information is available in the Project Phases and Timelines.
Site Mobilization - June 2019
On June 24, 2019, the contractor began work to mobilize the site which includes the installation of site trailers, tree protection, additional site hoarding and the delivery of excavation of equipment.
Work to be completed over the coming months includes:
- the removal of existing footings and sewers from previous buildings
- the installation of perimeter shoring pads in preparation for shoring and excavation work
- shoring and excavation work that will include drilling and pile installation
- once the site has been excavated, construction will begin on the building foundations and parking garage, followed by the above ground structure
What to expect
- Construction will take place Monday to Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Excavators will be used throughout the excavation work including one with a hydraulic hammer to break up existing foundations.
- Drill rigs will be used for both the drilling and pile installation.
- Concrete trucks will be on site during construction along with a tower crane to provide handling access for materials and equipment.
- There will be construction related noise and vibration while construction is taking place. Vibration may be experienced at adjacent buildings and structures.