Marriage Licences by Appointment Only
- You must submit your marriage licence application online before booking an appointment. Once you have submitted your application online you will be given an application number. This number is required when booking your appointment. Before submitting your application:
- For expediency, please print the application after submitting it online. Ensure that it is signed by both applicants and bring it with you to the appointment. We will only accept application forms with original signatures.
- If you cannot print, we can print the application for you, however both applicants must attend the appointment to sign the application.
- If both applicants cannot attend the appointment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit Your Marriage Licence Application
- Appointments are available at the following locations:
- Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St. West
- North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street
- Walk-ins will not be accepted.
- The name on the appointment must match one of the names on the marriage licence application. You will be required to enter your marriage licence application number. Only book one appointment per couple. Additional bookings will be cancelled.
- This appointment is to obtain your marriage licence only. You must arrange for a separate marriage ceremony to get married.
- If you cannot find an appointment prior to your intended wedding date please email email@example.com for additional assistance.
Book an Appointment Online
Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below:
- Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).
- Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.
- Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.
- To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.
- ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
- If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
- Health cards, S.I.N. cards and Refugee Protection Claimant Documents will not be accepted.
- Expired identification will not be accepted.
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s Licence
- Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
- Conditional Release Identification Card
- United States Green Card
- Native Status Card
- Record of Immigration Landing
- Confirmation of Permanent Residency
- Permanent Residency Card
- Citizenship Card
- Identity Card
- Nexus Card
- Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
- Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)
What to Bring to Your Appointment
Bring ALL of the following to your appointment:
- Completed application dated with original signatures (applications with scanned, photocopied or electronic signatures will not be accepted). If you cannot print your application, we can print it for you, but both applicants must come to the appointment to sign the application.
- 2 pieces of original and valid government issued ID for each person applying from the list of acceptable ID (see Identification Requirements, expired identification will not be accepted).
- Divorce documentation, if applicable.
- If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring someone who can interpret for you.
- This person must present their own identification.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
- It will take approximately 15 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment time.
- If you are late or come without the required documentation, your appointment may have to be rescheduled.
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St. West. (City Hall Map)
- Paid parking is available under Toronto City Hall, accessible from Queen St. West, Bay St South and Armoury/Chestnut Streets.
- Subway stops at Queen, Dundas and Osgoode.
- 501 Queen St. streetcar.
- You will be required to go through the visitor screening and a walk-through metal detector before proceeding to your appointment.
North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street (North York Map)
- Enter from either the north or south entrances of the building.
- Paid parking is available on several streets in the area and under North York Civic Centre.
- Subway stop is North York Centre.
- The cost of a marriage licence is $160 (HST does not apply).
- We accept debit and credit card ONLY. If you do not have a credit or debit card please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The marriage licence fee is non-refundable.
Remarrying After a Divorce Granted in Canada
Divorced in Canada
You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:
- Certificate of divorce
- Final decree
All documents will be returned. A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce.
A divorce certificate for a divorce granted in Toronto can be obtained at the Superior Court of Justice, 361 University Avenue. For business hours call 416-326-4230.
If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.
Remarrying After a Divorce Granted Outside of Canada
Divorced Outside of Canada (Foreign Divorce)
If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Province of Ontario, Office of the Registrar General.
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
You will need to send the following to the address above:
- Completed and signed marriage licence application
- Statement of sole responsibility
- Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer
- Original or court-certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment in English or French. If the document is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.
For more information or forms including a sample legal opinion letter please visit the ServiceOntario website.
Once you have received your Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Office of the Registrar General you can make an appointment for a marriage licence.
If you arrive for your appointment without a Foreign Divorce Authorization your marriage licence cannot be issued.
For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.
General Information About Marriage Licences
- A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church)
- Book appointment if you plan marry in the next 90 days
- The licence is valid for use in Ontario only and can be used anywhere in the province
- Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available in our office. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.
- Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.
What to Do If You Have an Expired Marriage Licence
The Province of Ontario has granted Royal Assent to legislation allowing for the extension of some marriage licences impacted by the three different States of Emergency.
|Licence Issue Date
||Marriage Licence Valid Until
|December 1, 2019 to July 24, 2020
||July 24, 2022
|July 25, 2020 to September 30, 2020
||3 months after the date of issue
|October 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020
||February 10, 2023
|January 1, 2021 to June 4, 2021
||June 4, 2023
|June 5, 2021 to October 31, 2021
||3 months after the date of issue
|November 1, 2021 to February 24, 2022
||February 24, 2024
For more information visit Service Ontario or call 416-325-8305 or 1-800-267-8097.
What to Do If You Cannot Find an Appointment in Time for Your Wedding
Demand for appointments is high and spots fill up quickly. If you cannot find an appointment to obtain your licence in time for your wedding please contact us at email@example.com.