As part of the City’s COVID-19 response, marriage licences will only be issued by appointment only. Contact for more information. Registry services counters at the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall and the North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough Civic Centres are closed for walk-in services. Stay up-to-date on all affected City services and when they may resume by visiting

  1. Review the identification requirements.
  2. Review guidelines on re-marrying after a divorce, if applicable.
  3. Marriage licences are being issued by appointment only at the North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge St. Walk-ins will not be accepted. The name on the appointment permit must match one of the names on the marriage licence application. Only book one appointment per couple. Additional bookings will be cancelled. Book an Appointment Online 
  4. Submit your marriage licence application online at least three business days prior to your appointment date. The name on the application must be the same as the name on the appointment permit. Please read the information below prior to submitting your application. Submit your Application Online
  5. Sign and date the application.
  6. Attend your appointment.

Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below:

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).
  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.
  • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.
  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
  • If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
  • Health cards and S.I.N. cards will not be accepted.
  • Expired identification will not be accepted.

Acceptable identification

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

Bring ALL of the following to your appointment:

  1. Appointment Permit (print this when you book online).
  2. Completed application dated with original signatures (applications with scanned, photocopied or electronic signatures will not be accepted).
  3. 2 pieces of original and valid government issued ID for each person applying from the list of acceptable ID (see Identification Requirements, expired identification will not be accepted).
  4. Divorce documentation, if applicable.


  • If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring someone who can interpret for you.
  • This person must present their own identification.

As part of the City’s COVID-19 response please read before coming to your appointment.

  • Masks are mandatory to enter the North York Civic Centre.
  • Only one person may attend the appointment (unless you need assistance).
  • If you or your partner are sick (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, muscle aches), have travelled outside of Canada or come into contact with a person with COVID-19 do not attend your appointment. Contact us at to reschedule.
  • We encourage you to wear a mask to the appointment.
  • Protect yourself and others by practising physical distancing. Signs and floor markings will guide you.

The City is issuing marriage licences from the North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge St.

  • Come to the south entrance (entrance off of North York Blvd.).  Look for the signs with two wedding rings to guide you to the south doors.
  • You will be greeted by a staff person who will check all your documentation and complete a health screen before permitting you into the building. You will be shown to the next available service counter.
  • It will take approximately 15 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
  • The civic centre is not open to the public. Washrooms are not available and you will leave the building once your appointment is complete.
  • If you are late or come without the required documentation, your appointment will be cancelled.
  • Arrive at the south doors at your scheduled appointment time. Do not arrive early. We have scheduled the appointments to ensure applicants and staff can maintain physical distancing both in and outside the building.

Getting there

  • Paid parking is available on Yonge St. and Beecroft Ave (directly behind the North York Civic Centre).
  • Subway stops at North York Centre or Sheppard/Yonge.


  • The cost of a marriage licence is $145 (HST does not apply).
  • We accept debit and credit card ONLY. If you do not have a credit or debit card please contact
  • The marriage licence fee is non-refundable.

Divorced in Canada

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

  • Final decree
  • Certificate of divorce

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement will not be accepted. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.

Divorced Outside of Canada (Foreign Divorce)

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

Once you have received your Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Office of the Registrar General you can apply for a marriage licence.

For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.

  • A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church)
  • Book appointment if you plan marry in the next 90 days
  • The licence is valid for use in Ontario only and can be used anywhere in the province
  • Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available in our office. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.
  • Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

Do not book an appointment online if you have an expired marriage licence.

Contact for further instructions.

Demand for appointments is high and spots fill up quickly.  If you cannot find an appointment to obtain your licence in time for your wedding please contact us at