Step 4: Obtain a Marriage Certificate
After you have had your marriage ceremony, you may need a marriage certificate. The certificate contains details of your marriage performed in Ontario and proves that a marriage has taken place. You may need a marriage certificate for a number of reasons, including changing your name.
Order a Marriage Certificate
Marriage certificates are issued by the Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario. You can order a marriage certificate through Service Ontario.
How to order a marriage certificate
- The easiest and fastest way to order a marriage certificate is online through Service Ontario.
- To order a marriage certificate by mail simply complete the form that was included with your marriage licence or download the form.
- For questions regarding marriage certificates please contact Service Ontario at 416-325-8305 or 1-800-461-2156.
Marriage & Change of Name
After the marriage ceremony, there are three options either spouse may consider in regards to retaining, assuming, or legally changing their last name.
Option 1: Continue to use their last name
- Under this course of action, the spouse who wishes to keep their current last name needs to take no action.
- Ontario law does not require a spouse to change their last name upon marriage.
Option 2: “Assume” the use of the spouse’s last name
- An assumed name is a name which a person uses or adopts.
- Upon marriage, a person may choose to “assume” the last name of their spouse and use it.
- To have your identification revised most government organizations, credit card firms, etc. will accept a copy of the marriage certificate issued by the Office of the Registrar General as proof of the marriage.
Option 3: Legally change his/her last name
- A legal name is the name by which the person is entitled to be recognized for the purposes of Ontario law.
- In this instance, a person will elect the option under the Change of Name Act, complete the appropriate forms and submit them to the Office of the Registrar General
- Staff at one of our offices can commission your change of name application free of charge