Submit your marriage licence application online, download an application or obtain one from one of our offices. Please read the information below prior to submitting your application.
  • A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church)
  • No appointment is required when applying for a marriage licence
  • If you have the required identification and applicable documents it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence
  • The licence can be used anywhere in the province of Ontario
  • Once issued a marriage licence is valid for 90 days
  • The licence is valid for use in Ontario only

1. Review the identification requirements.

2. Review guidelines on re-marrying after a divorce, if applicable.

3. Complete a marriage licence application.

  • For faster service, apply online.
  • If you are unable to submit your application online or prefer to use a paper version, you can print the form.

Download Application

4. Visit a City Clerk’s office with the following:

  • completed application dated with original signatures (not scanned or photocopied)
  • 2 pieces of original and valid government issued ID for each person applying from the list of acceptable ID (see Identification Requirements)
  • divorce documentation, if applicable

You can apply without your partner, if:

  • both of you have signed and dated the completed application (applications with scanned or photocopied signatures will not be accepted)
  • you bring the required identification for each person on the application (original ID only, we will not accept photocopies or scanned images)
  • bring original divorce documentation, if applicable


  • If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring your own interpreter.
  • The interpreter must present their own identification.

The cost of a marriage licence is $140 (HST does not apply).

We accept cash, debit, credit card and certified cheque or money order made payable to “Treasurer, City of Toronto.”

The marriage licence fee is non-refundable.

Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available in our office. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.

Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

Each person applying for the marriage licence must bring 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below.

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies or scanned images/documents)
  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth
  • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.
  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
  • If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
  • Health cards and S.I.N. cards will not be accepted.

Acceptable identification

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

Divorced in Canada

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

  • Final decree
  • Certificate of divorce

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.

Divorced Outside of Canada (Foreign Divorce)

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

For more information, contact the Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario. Foreign divorce packages can also be picked up at any of our offices.