Energy Retrofit Loans
Through its Energy Retrofit Loan program, the City offers low-interest loans to help building owners improve the energy efficiency of their buildings. All buildings located in Toronto are eligible.
The City offers financing for up to 100% of project costs, at a rate equal to the City’s cost of borrowing, with repayment terms up to 20 years.
Eligible projects include:
- Lighting retrofits
- High-efficiency boilers, chillers and HVAC
- Building envelope improvements
- Building automation systems and controls
- Heat pumps
- Renewable energy projects
- Energy storage
- Fuel switching
- Other retrofit measures/technologies
All buildings located in Toronto are eligible, including:
- Commercial, Retail and Industrial
- Multi-Family Residential
- Condominium buildings (common areas only, not individual units)
- Hospitals and Long-Term Care
- Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Social Housing
Step 1: Submit an Expression of Interest Form
Step 2: Detailed Application and Supporting Documents
Eligible applicants will be invited to complete a detailed application, which will include a:
- detailed project summary including estimated energy savings and project costs;
- feasibility or engineering study describing the technical and financial details of the proposed project;
- two years of audited financial statements
Step 3: Funding Agreement
Once your detailed application is approved, the City will create a Funding Agreement that sets out the terms of the agreement between the building owner(s) and the City of Toronto. The Agreement must be signed by both parties.
The interest rate specified in the Agreement will be valid for a period of 60 days, after which it will be updated to reflect the City’s current cost of borrowing.
Step 4: Funds Disbursed
Funds will be disbursed, as outlined in the Funding Agreement.
To request a rate estimate, please email email@example.com.
The City offers fixed-rate financing for up to 100 per cent of project costs for terms up to 20 years. The interest rate in your Funding Agreement will reflect the City’s cost of borrowing. As the City’s cost of borrowing varies daily, the actual interest rate cannot be confirmed until the loan is approved.
- Access fixed-rate financing, at the City’s cost of borrowing, for up to 100 per cent of your project costs, and terms up to 20 years.
- Avoid the large upfront cost of building improvements and repay the loan over time as you save on energy.
- With financing available for 100 per cent of your project costs, you can expand the scope of your project to maximize emission reductions and energy savings.
- City staff will help you access rebates and incentives from other levels of government and utility companies.