Using assessment rolls, you can see who or what was at an address, and learn more about the residents. You can also learn more about a property.
Assessment rolls show:
- the name, occupation, salary, and religion of the “head of household”
- the size, buildings, ownership, and assessed value of the property
The assessment rolls are on microfilm and hard copy. You will need to visit the Archives to see them.
Tips on Using the Assessment Rolls
- Assessment rolls are created every year as part of property tax calculation.
- Assessment rolls are organized by municipality. You will need to identify the municipality a property was in when the assessment was made. For example, a property may have been in Weston, then in York (because Weston was amalgamated with York in 1967) and now in the City of Toronto (because York was amalgamated with Toronto in 1998).
- Post-1998 assessment rolls are also organized by the six pre-1998 municipalities, even though they are all now part of the City of Toronto.
- If your property used to be in the old City of Toronto, the City of Toronto Annexations map can help you find out when it became part of Toronto.
- The Archives has maps and other guides to help you find out which ward and division your property is in.
- For current assessment information about your property, you can use the Toronto Property System database, available at the Archives and civic centres.
The following is a list of assessment rolls, by municipality, held at the City of Toronto Archives. The links in the list take you into the Archives online database, where you can read more details about each collection.
- City of Toronto (post-amalgamation, 1998-)
- Former City of Toronto, 1834-1997
- Township and Borough of East York, 1924-1997
- Township, Borough and City of Etobicoke, 1851-1997
- Township, Borough and City of North York, 1922-1997
- Township, Borough and City of Scarborough, 1853-1997
- Township, Borough and City of York, 1882-1997
- Village of Brockton, 1881-1883
- Town of East Toronto, 1888-1908
- Village of Forest Hill, 1925-1966
- Town of Leaside, 1939, 1942-1967
- Village of Long Branch, 1931-1966
- Town of Mimico, 1921-1966
- Town of New Toronto, 1913-1966
- Town of North Toronto, 1890-1912
- Town of Parkdale, 1879-1888
- Village of Swansea, 1927-1966
- Town of Weston, 1883-1966
- Town of West Toronto, 1888-1909
- Village of Yorkville, 1862-1882