City Clerk’s Office
The City Clerk’s Office mission is to build public trust and confidence in local government. Our primary services include administering the municipal election, managing the decision making process by supporting Council and committee meetings, making information accessible to the public while protecting privacy, providing leadership in matters of protocol, providing administrative support to Members of Council and their staff and processing registry and gaming licenses.
Ulli S. Watkiss
Corporate Information Management Services
Corporate Information Management Services manages the City’s information by providing leadership on information management policies and strategies, supporting City programs in their information management practices and ensuring appropriate public access to City records and information. The unit:
- receives and processes Freedom of Information requests for the City and manages responses to access appeals filed with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
- provides guidance to City staff in the collection, use and disclosure of personal information, and investigates privacy breaches
- through the City Archives, the unit preserves and makes accessible the archival records of the City and engages the community with public outreach activities and exhibits
Election Services manages and conducts municipal elections, by-elections, and questions on the ballot – also known as referendums.
As part of the election process, the unit:
- manages the filing and disclosure of candidates’ financial statements
- administers the rebate program for contributions to municipal election campaign
The unit also manages issuing of lottery licences and other gaming services to eligible charitable, religious and non-profit organizations.
Strategic Protocol and External Relations
Strategic Protocol and External Relations provides direction and leadership in all aspects of protocol within the City. In addition, the unit:
- advances the policy goals of the City, Mayor, and Council by creating an environment for successful diplomacy and engagement with local, national and international dignitaries, while positioning Toronto as a world class city
- upholds and enhances the reputation of the City, Mayor, and Council in official functions, activities, celebrations and commemorations
- supports the Mayor’s role as Chief Executive Officer and head of Council
Secretariat facilitates government decision-making by managing meetings of City Council and its committees, coordinating appointments of citizens and members of Council to committees and special purpose bodies, and providing easy public access to Council’s decision-making processes and information. The unit maintains the Toronto Municipal Code and City bylaws for easy access by City officials, members of Council and the public. The unit also sends out planning and other public notices as mandated by legislation. Secretariat staff may act as commissioners of oath for City business.
Secretariat also provides services to the public that are mandated by the provincial government, including:
- issuing of marriage licences
- providing access to assessment rolls (property listings
- issuing burial permits
The unit also:
- administers wedding chamber bookings
- manages municipal clearance for liquor licences and coordinates polls for City divisions on matters of local interest, such as traffic calming and boulevard cafes
Strategic Integration and Excellence
Strategic Integration and Excellence unit provides administrative, financial and information technology support to the Mayor’s Office, City Councillor offices, accountability officers, and all units within the City Clerk’s Office. The unit promotes accountability and compliance of these offices with Council approved policies and procedures.
As part of its financial support, the unit prepares the online disclosure of Councillors’ expenses. Council reception staff are also part of the Strategic Integration and Excellence unit.
In addition, the unit provides strategic planning support to the City Clerk’s Office. The unit receives and registers official correspondence and written complaints for the Office.