Please note: As directed by City Council, applicants for new vehicle-for-hire and private transportation company driver’s licences must demonstrate completion of a new driver training course, and will be required to submit the certificate of completion as part of their license application. Applications for new licences will not be accepted without the certificate of training completion.

You need a licence from the City of Toronto if you are a:
  • Taxicab owner, operator or broker
  • Limousine owner or service company
  • Private transportation company (PTC), such as Uber of Lyft
  • Taxicab, limousine or PTC vehicle driver


Companies that book and arrange taxicabs, taxicab owners and taxicab drivers are required to be licensed.


Limousines owners, service companies and drivers are required to be licensed.

Private Transportation Companies

Private Transportation Companies (such as Uber/Lyft) and drivers of these vehicles need to be licensed.