Dogs must be kept on a leash whenever they are on any property other than their owners, unless they are in designated dogs off-leash areas. To report a dog off-leash, contact 311.
Why Can't I Let my Dog Off Leash in any Park?
- Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be responsible and respectful of each other.
- Owners are responsible for their dog and any injuries or damage caused by any dog in their care.
- Owners and dog walkers are responsible for ensuring that their dogs are under control.
What Do I Need to Know to Use the Off-Leash Areas?
- Dogs must be vaccinated and licensed.
- Dog training/electronic devices are not allowed.
Dogs excluded from off-leash areas include:
- Dogs that are pit bulls as defined by the Dogs Owner’s Liability Act
- Female dogs in heat
- Any dog that has been issued a muzzle order by the City of Toronto.
Can I be Fined for Letting my Dog Off Leash in an Area Where They Shouldn't be?
- A fine of up $260 can be issued for allowing a dog to run off leash except in a posted designated leash-free area. The charge is $205, plus a $50 victim’s surcharge, and a $5 administration fee.