Bendale Acres provides individualized care to each of its 302 residents within a safe and friendly environment. Guided by the CARE values – Compassion | Accountability | Respect | Excellence, we are committed to improving quality of life and support for healthy aging. To learn more, watch the Commitment to Care video.
Bendale Acres is one of 10 City-operated long-term care homes.
Initially constructed in 1965, the home was completely renovated in 1995 and contains:
- 100 private and 101 semi-private rooms, each with ensuite washroom
- large windows and an atrium-style foyer with fireplace and skylights
- large fenced garden
- inter-denominational worship centre
- self-contained resident units on each of the home’s six floors featuring spacious dining rooms, lounges and recreational and rehabilitation rooms
- two respite beds providing supportive care to individuals living in the community who may benefit from admission to the short-stay program
Residents enjoy on-unit food and nutrition services, including three meals and three snacks each day. Menus are prepared to include in-season fresh fruits and vegetables. A registered dietitian is on staff and provides additional nutritional support to residents.
Bendale Acres offers the following specialized services:
- Behavioural Support Programs
- Cognitive Support
- French Language Unit
- Ismaili Unit
Behavioural Support Programs
As recognized leaders in behavioural support programs, we have a long history of demonstrated knowledge of dementia, delirium and mental health in the delivery of care.
Staff and medical professionals are knowledgeable in the most prevalent types and related causes of behavioural issues, understand disease processes, stages and progression, diagnostic and assessment process, cognitive or neurological symptoms, treatment interventions, appropriate communication to address resident needs, strategies to promote optimal quality of life and experience of the behaviour(s) from the perspective of the resident, family members and other partners in care.
Bendale Acres has a 15-bed Cognitive Support Unit complete with two semi-private and 11 private rooms. The nursing communication centre and dining room are located centrally. The unit is secure to protect the safety of residents with exit-seeking behaviours and has a secure outdoor garden area.
Pavillon Omer Deslauriers
Bendale Acres is home to a 37-bed French language services unit. Staff are bilingual in English and French, and are able to provide care for residents in their preferred language. One of our short-stay beds is located in the Pavillon Omer Deslauriers to provide additional support for the French language community. Residents can enjoy recreational activities, special events and spiritual and religious care, as well as music, art and complementary care in a language-specific environment.
A Guide for Planning and Providing Francophone Long-Term Care Services is for those involved in planning, advocating for, and providing Francophone health services. The guide provides an optimal model for providing long-term care in French and features the Pavillon Omer Deslauriers and Bendale Acres. Full report including resources available online in English and French
Bendale Acres is home to the Ismaili unit (approximately 17 beds). Residents are supported by volunteers from the Ismaili community, allowing them to continue their connections with their cultural community. Residents also have culturally-appropriate menu choices at meal time.
- Staff are well-trained and provide excellent care for individuals requiring increasingly complex care that may include: intravenous treatments, gastric feeding tubes, oxygen therapy and extensive wound management
- Residents are able to access on-site dental, hearing, eye and foot care from contracted service providers
- Private family dining room for family celebrations
- Fenced garden with view of Lawrence Avenue, including secure garden area for Cognitive Support Unit residents
- Art Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Complementary Care Therapy, including aromatherapy and light massage
- Physiotherapy services
- Recreation and Rehabilitation Staff
- Co-ordinator of Spiritual & Religious Care
- Support from the Regional Psychogeriatric Consultant and the Mental Health Outreach Team
- Behavioural Resource Team
- Close proximity to Scarborough Hospital Regional Dialysis program for residents requiring Haemodialysis
- Located centrally on TTC routes and minutes from the 401
- Short-stay beds
- Adult Day Centre
Families are an integral part in helping make the best decisions for their family member. We offer many opportunities for families to be involved:
- resident care conferences
- Family Council
- satisfaction surveys
- volunteer services
Bendale Acres is a dynamic part of the community providing support to seniors and local groups. We supply meals to the TransCare Community Support Services Meals-on-Wheels program seven days a week, producing over 600 meals per week for delivery. We also have a close relationship with the Scarborough Rotary Club and Probus and host community exercise and falls prevention programs provided by TransCare Community Support Services. Finally, we have relationships with area schools for inter-generational programs. Secondary school, college and university students complete a variety of clinical and training rotations each year, sharing new knowledge and learning from the experiences our staff share.
Take a Virtual Tour
If interested in a guided personal tour, please call 416-397-7000