Building permit for the placement of a portable classroom on the site of an existing school
All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, USB or submitted by email.
- Site plan showing property lines, lot area (referenced to a current survey)
- Key plan showing location of existing/proposed construction.
- Location of all existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions.
- Indicate Fire route, fire department connections and fire hydrants.
- All parking/loading spaces. Include Barrier Free information such as: curb cuts, designated accessible parking spaces, access ramps and all associated details.
- Existing and proposed grades, including sidewalk elevations.
- Proposed finished floor elevations of all floor levels.
- Dimensioned floor plans for each level showing existing and proposed uses of all spaces, including all plumbing fixtures, reflected ceiling and associated details.
- Provide existing/proposed construction, interior/exterior wall assemblies, fire separations and structural framing above.
- Existing and proposed roof layout showing roof structure, skylights, roof slopes, ventilation and including any screening requirements for mechanical roof top equipment.
- Exterior finishes with roof slopes, window/door type, locations and sizes including height of sills above floor level.
- Provide area of exposed building face, percentage/area of unprotected openings and required limiting distance(s).
- Show exterior signage, canopies, decks/landings, stairs, guards/handrails.
- Provide overall building height dimension.
- Cross section(s) to show existing/proposed building construction and specifications of all floor, wall, and roof assemblies.
- Show floor to floor, floor to ceiling, and overall building heights.
- Detail fire separations, stairs, landings, guards, and handrails.
Construction Details and Notes
- Building materials and specifications of all wall, floor and roof assemblies with typical wall section and typical roof detail
- Provide guard details including connection detail
- Door and room finish schedules
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Applicant/owner is required to pay a damage deposit as a protection guarantee against damage to the curb, sidewalk, road, public laneway, boulevard and other services as well as tracking mud on City streets, or failing to clear snow and ice from sidewalks while construction is in progress.
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Required for all buildings where professional design and field review is required by the Ontario Building Code. This Commitment form must be signed by the owner or agent and the professional architect, engineer, or consultant.
Required for most alteration/renovation applications. (Part 9 or Part 3 other than houses), to reveal information about the building’s life safety system in the building. “The Building Design Information Form” could be used as a substitute.
Required for all projects where there is a potential for damage to private or City trees. Applicant is also responsible to comply with other tree protection bylaws http://www.toronto.ca/trees/
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a re-writable DVD or USB containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests. No paper copies will be required.
|Fee Effective Jan. 1, 2018|
|Permits for Non-certified Portable Classrooms||$198.59/portable|
|Permits for Certified Portable Classrooms||$71.48/portable|
Protect Your Privacy
Please do not include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).