Service Description

Standalone drain permit for installation of a backwater valve in a house with one or two dwelling units.

Service Outcome

Building Permit

All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format.

Note: A fullport (normally open) backwater valve conforming to the appropriate CSA standard may be installed in a building drain that serves only one occupancy.

A backwater valve that is designed to be installed in a normally closed position is prohibited from being installed in a building drain or building sewer.

No plans are required for one and two unit houses.

Multi-Unit and Non-Residential Buildings

A stand-alone drain permit is required to install a backwater valve in multi-unit and non-residential buildings.

Please see the Plumbing and Drain Permit Stand-Alone Application guide for submission requirements.

Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.

To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.

Application to Construct or Demolish Form

Building permit application form required for all submissions


Consent to Enter – Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program

A Consent to Enter form is required when installing a backwater valve and sump pump to assist Toronto Water in determining eligibility for Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program.

The form provides City staff permission to enter the property and verify the existence of a sump pump.

Permit for Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Fee Effective Jan. 1, 2024
Backwater Valves, Manholes, Catchbasins, Interceptors and Sumps Complete with Pumps $35.75 each

Protect Your Privacy

Please do not include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).