Body Rub Parlour
Please note: New applications for new body rub parlour locations are not being accepted. Application requirements are shared for reference purposes only.
Body rub parlours are any place where non-medical or non-therapeutic massaging services are provided by someone other than registered massage therapists, or other licensed or registered holistic practitioners.
Those who own or operate body rub parlours are required to have a Body Rub Parlour licence.
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships and corporations.
Applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
How to Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence
Prior to submitting an application, you must provide an approved Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence.
This is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than one year prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category). However, you must complete and sign the Occupancy Declaration Form.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian passport
- Driver’s licence
- Canadian birth certificate
- Citizenship card
- Permanent resident card
- SIN card (social insurance number)
- Valid work permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards.
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Applicants will also be required to provide the following:
- List of attendants/body rubbers who will work at the Body Rub Parlour
- Body Rub Parlour Operating Information
- List of managers
- Floor plan of the premises
- Copy of all written contracts of service or other document pertaining to the relationship between the body rub owner and/or operator and body rubber;
- Sales agreement
- Business plan
Staff will take a photo of the applicant, if a Sole Proprietor, at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office.
What Happens After You Apply
Staff will conduct a property inspection once a complete application is submitted.
Licensing Tribunal Review
The application will be reviewed by the Toronto Licensing Tribunal to determine whether or not the application should be granted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
Number of Body Rub Parlour Licences Is Restricted
The number of body rub parlour licences issued within Toronto is limited to 25.
The City of Toronto has 25 licensed body rub parlours and is no longer accepting new applications.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $13,155.32
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.