A holistic centre is any premises in which holistic services are provided or offered.
Please note: As per a recent Council decision, we are not accepting new licence applications from members associated with the following professional holistic associations until a full review of the regulations is completed.
- Canadian Examining Board of Health Care Practitioners Inc.
- Examining Board of Natural Medicine Practitioners
- Health and Healing Holistic Association
- National Certification Board for Natural Therapies
- World Peace and Natural Health Association
The Council decision does not affect current licence holders.
Who Can Apply
Sole proprietorships (individuals), partnerships or corporations.
Applicants, partners, officers, directors and shareholders must be at least 18 years old.
Zoning Review for Business Licence
Prior to submitting an application, you must provide an Zoning Review for Business Licence.
This is not required if an applicant is taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or is expired less than three years prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category).
Apply for Zoning Review for Business Licence
Applications must include two pieces of identification, one must be photo ID:
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- For sole proprietorship or individual applicants, one piece of ID must provide proof of work status
- A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
- A business location/address.
- A copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement.
- A signed and completed Holistic Centre Operating Information Questionnaire.
- Certificate of Insurance, providing proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance, signed and stamped by the insurer
- Proof of Holistic Practitioner licence
- Every applicant for a Holistic Centre Licence shall hold a valid holistic practitioner licence, or, in the case of a corporation, the officers and directors of the corporation shall hold valid holistic practitioners’ licences.
- Holistic Centre Property Use Form, signed by the property owner and notarized
- All details on the form, including address and unit number, must match those found on the business licence application.
- Floor plan, detailing the use of each room/area.
- A signed and completed Holistic Centre Supporting Documents Checklist.
Additional documentation may be required:
- If you are starting a new business, please submit a Notice of Zoning Bylaw Compliance Letter OR Building Permit.
- If you are taking over an existing business that has a valid business licence or a licence that has expired less than three years prior to the time of new application (for the same licence category), please submit an Occupancy Declaration Form.
- If you are applying as a corporation, please submit:
- A copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6);
- The Annual Return for Corporation Form, signed by an officer or director, which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation;
- Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID) for each officer/director;
- A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check for each officer/director issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
- If you are applying as a designate for a corporation, please submit all corporation requirements as well as an original letter advising of signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation and dated within 30 days.
How To Apply
You can apply for new business licences online or in-person.
Save yourself time and apply online. Please have all required documents ready to upload before starting the application, as it requires 10-15 minutes to complete and cannot be saved. Download a step by step guide on how to submit a new application. Licence application fees can be paid online or by sending a cheque.
If you have already submitted an application you may upload additional documents using your upload token.
Upload Documents for Existing Request
You must book an appointment at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, 850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd Floor. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
Please arrive 10-15 mins early to check in and be on time for your appointment or you may be turned away and asked to re-book for another day and time, subject to availability.
You must bring a complete application as applications will not be accepted unless all the required documents are provided. Bring hard copies of all required documents and forms, including a recent photo if required. Digital copies of documents will not be accepted.
Payment can only be made by debit, credit or cheque. Cash will not be accepted.
Application fee: $ 180.40 (inclusive of GST)
- The application fee is non-refundable and is required upon submittal of a complete application.
Licence fee: $ 111.65 (inclusive of GST)
- The licence fee is due upon approval of the application.
ML&S shall deny an application for, or a renewal, for all businesses required to be licenced under this chapter that has:
- Been convicted at any time of a sexual offence against a minor or a person with a disability under any of sections 151 to 153.1 of the Criminal Code;
- Been convicted of any sexual offence under the Criminal Code in the preceding ten years;
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections in the preceding five years:
- 84 to 117.15 (Firearms and Other Weapons);
- 264.1 to 286.1 (Offences Against the Person);
- 321 to 378 (Offences Against Rights of Property);
- 379 to 462 (Fraudulent Transactions, Wilful and Forbidden Acts of Certain Property, Offences Relating to Currency);
- 462.3 to 462.5 (Proceeds of Crime).
- Been convicted at any time of an offence under the following Criminal Code sections:
- 83.01 to 83.33 (Terrorism);
- 219 to 248 (Major Offences Against the Person);
- 267, 268, 270.01, 272, 273 (Major Assaults or Major Sexual Assaults).
- Been convicted of an offence under the following Controlled Drugs and Substances Act sections in the preceding ten years:
- 5 (Trafficking);
- 6 (Importing and exporting);
- 7 (Production);
- 7.1 (Possession for use in production or trafficking).
- Been convicted of any offence under section 4 (Possession or obtaining) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in the preceding five years;
- Been convicted of five or more offences under Chapter 545 or 546 of the Toronto Municipal Code in the preceding three years;
- Any overdue by-law fines, unless the applicant provides proof that such fines have been subsequently paid.
Despite these screening criteria, if a licence has been previously issued or renewed and the applicant’s or licensee’s record discloses no new breach of the screening criteria, the licence may be issued or renewed without the matter being referred to the Toronto Licensing Tribunal.
These screening criteria do not apply to any offence for which a licensee or applicant has been granted a criminal record suspension (i.e. a pardon) by the Parole Board of Canada.
What Happens After You Apply
After an application is made, the applicant will be provided with a patient record form.
Staff will conduct a property inspection once a complete application is submitted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
Renewing a Licence
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued. A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
The renewal fee is $160.45
Existing licensees must renew their licences via a new online renewal portal. Licence renewal fees can be paid online or by sending a cheque.
Please have all required documents ready to upload before starting the renewal, as it requires 10-15 minutes to complete and cannot be saved. Download a step by step guide on how to renew a licence or permit.
Find your outstanding business licence or permit renewal invoice.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee. Find your outstanding business licence or permit renewal invoice.