All individuals who own a limousine to be driven for money must be licensed.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original Documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- Identification is required for all officers/directors listed on the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Profile or Federal Form 6
Partnerships and corporations must also provide the following:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- or, a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
After November 1st, 2018, under Province’s Police Record Checks Reform Act, 2015, Municipal Licensing and Standards will require “Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Checks” for all applications and renewals. “Criminal Record Checks” will not be accepted.
An original provincial vehicle registration, where the name and address match the applicants (i.e. If applicant is a partnership or corporation, the vehicle ownership must be registered to the partnership or corporation).
- Sedan vehicles must be no more than 7 model years old. E.g. a sedan limousine manufactured in 2012 must be replaced in 2019
- Stretch vehicles must be no more than 8 model years old. For example, a stretch limousine manufactured in 2012 must be replaced in 2020
- Vehicles cannot be branded as rebuilt
- Must have the limousine plate affixed to the front grill
See the approved vehicle list.
Applicants must provide proof of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (PL/PD) insurance.
A form certificate will be provided at time of application for your insurance provider to complete.
Original completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer and returned to our office by fax or email directly from the insurer, will be accepted.
If the vehicle is not new, the applicant must provide a Used Vehicle Information from the Ministry of Transportation.
Provide a list of rates, fare or fees to be charged to customers for service. For example, rate charged for driving a passenger from Downtown Toronto to the Airport.
All licensed limousines must also have an agreement with a licensed limousine service company.
An original Standard Safety Certificate (SSC) is required after your application is completed.
An SSC is issued following an inspection by a Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (MVIS) garage operator, licensed by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
The SSC cannot be more than 36 days old at time of submission.
To submit your SCC:
- Email a photo or scanned copy of your SSC to firstname.lastname@example.org with your plate number in the subject line. You will only be contacted if there are any issues.
- Bring an original copy to the Licence and Permit Issuing Office.
Find Your Submission Date:
- If a taxi is driven more than 40,000 km in the previous year, an SSC must be submitted once every six months.
- If a taxi is driven less than 40,000 km in the previous year, an SSC must be submitted once per year.
- SSC can be submitted up to 30 days before the submission date, but can’t be more than 36 days old at time of submission.
- Keep a hard copy of all Safety Standards Certifications in the vehicle.
If an SCC is not provided within seven days of its due date, your business licence can be suspended.
A photo of the applicant will be taken at time of application.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $695.82
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.