The City is currently undertaking a review of the Fence Bylaw.


There are standards for fence height and structure in Toronto. If you have a swimming pool, you need to have a particular type of fence.  If you need your fence to be taller for a specific reason, you may apply for a fence exemption.

There are four Municipal Licensing & Standards district offices that can answer questions and/or accept your fence exemption application in person or by mail.  To determine which office serves your area, enter your address here.  Otherwise, you may contact 311 for assistance.