MyToronto Pay is a convenient way to pay and manage multiple City services from one secure profile.
To ensure your payment reaches the City on or before the due date, we suggest making your payment electronically through our new service MyToronto Pay, or through your financial institution’s online banking, or through a pre-authorized payment plan with the City or with your mortgage company (property tax bills only).

Consider electronic payment to avoid incurring tax penalty/interest or to avoid losing your utility bill’s early payment discount by ensuring your payment is received on or before the due date. If mailing payment through Canada Post, allow time for mail delivery and send payment several days before the due date.

MyToronto Pay

MyToronto Pay is a new service from the City of Toronto in collaboration with our trusted partner PayIt. Using MyToronto Pay, property tax and utility bill payments can be made by electronic funds transfer with no convenience fee, or credit card and debit card with a convenience fee charged by industry. Learn more about MyToronto Pay.

Financial Institutions

You can pay your property tax bill or utility bill at banks or financial institutions through online banking, telephone banking, at an automatic teller or in-person. To avoid late penalties and interest, please pay well before the due date, processing times for your payment can vary.

To register and pay through online banking:

Name of Financial Institution Payee Listing for Property Tax  Payee Listing for Utility Bills  
BMO (Bank of Montreal) Toronto, City of, Taxes Toronto, City of, Utility
CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) Toronto (City of) Property Tax Toronto (City of) Utility Bill
National Bank City of Toronto Taxes City of Toronto Utilities
RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) City of Toronto Property Taxes City of Toronto Utility Bill
Scotiabank Toronto (City) Property Tax Toronto (City) Utility bill
TD Canada Trust Toronto (City of) Property Taxes Toronto (City of) Utility bill

If your bank is not listed, please contact your financial institution for information.

Payee information is subject to change without notice. If you require assistance, please contact your bank or financial institution.

Updating your Payment Information

Be sure to select the correct bill payee and confirm your account number matches your current bill. A Payment Re-Distribution Fee will apply on requests to re-distribute electronic payment(s) made to an incorrect account. If you have recently purchased, sold or moved from a property, review tips on managing your accounts.

Mail-In Payment

Post-dated cheques are accepted for the due dates. Cheques are payable to the Treasurer, City of Toronto.

Property taxes Utility bills
Treasurer, City of Toronto
Box 5000
Toronto, ON M2N 5V1
Treasurer, City of Toronto
Box 6000
Toronto, ON M2N 5V3

If mailing payment through Canada Post, send payment several days before the due date to allow for delivery. Payment must reach out offices by the due date to avoid penalty and interest charges.

Note: Do not send cash by mail. Cheques submitted for payment can not be retrieved or returned. Customers must contact their financial institution to place a stop payment on any cheque(s) they do not want to be cashed.

Pre-Authorized Payment Programs

If you enroll in the Pre-authorized Tax Payment (PTP) Program or the Pre-authorized Utility Payment (PUP) Program, your bank or financial institution will automatically withdraw your payments on the due date.

Payment for supplementary and/or omitted property tax bills cannot be withdrawn through PTP.  Use one of the other listed payment options to make payment.

Learn more:
Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Program 

Pre-Authorized Utility Bill Payment Program

Mortgage Company (Property Tax bills Only)

If your taxes are paid by a mortgage company, promptly forward your tax bill/statement to its office. You will receive a final property tax bill for your records.

Inquiry & Payment Counters and Drop Box Services

Property Tax, Utility and Parking Violation Inquiry & Payment Counters are open. Counters at Metro Hall remain closed.

You can make payment by cash, cheque, money order, or debit card. If making payment via drop box, cheque or money order is accepted.

Property tax accounts for newly constructed properties are created after the occupancy date. Property owners will receive a property assessment change notice from Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) before receiving the first property tax bill. MPAC provides the City with the assessment information to create your new tax account.

New owners will not be able to make payment by digital, cheque or in-person options, before receiving their first property tax bill. Only after you have received your first tax bill, you can then set up your payment options through MyToronto Pay, or with your bank or financial institution.

Log on to the Lookups to view your account details, billing and payment information.

Property Tax Lookup
View your account details and change your mailing address.
Access Account
Utility Account Lookup
View your utility account.
Access Account

Current Year Tax Receipts

  • Your request must be made by phone or mail by December 31.
  • You must identify each property for which you need a receipt.
  • Your receipt(s) will be issued in December at no charge.
  • Your request must be made annually.

Alternatively, acquire account information through the Property Tax Lookup. Locate a previous bill and sign in to the lookup by entering information on the property tax bill.

For Prior Year Tax Receipts

Mail-in requests

You may request a receipt for prior years for a fee, charged per year. A cheque, payable to:

Treasurer, City of Toronto
Revenue Services, General
Correspondence, Lower Level
5100 Yonge St.,
Toronto, ON M2N 5V7

In-person requests

Property Tax, Utility and Parking Violation Inquiry & Payment Counters have reopened. Counters at Metro Hall remain closed.

Due to the ongoing response to COVID-19, we are experiencing delays in the processing of customer service refund requests. To monitor the status of your request access your property tax or utility account with the Property Tax Lookup and Utility Bill Lookup, or contact a customer service representative at 311 – Tax & Utility Inquiry phone line, outside City limits call 416-392-CITY (2489).

Refund of Assessment/Tax Appeals

A credit balance resulting from a successful assessment/tax appeal will be refunded to the property owner.

If you filed an assessment appeal and have sold your property before you have received your appeal decision, please inform your lawyer.

Refund/Credit Transfer or Paid the Wrong Account

Requests for refund or transfer of a credit balance due to an overpayment or a payment applied to a wrong account will require proof of payment. Fees may apply. If you have an outstanding balance on your account any applicable credit will be applied to your balance. If you own more than one property, available credits will be applied to outstanding balance(s) on any of your property tax accounts to bring account(s) up-to-date. Refunds will only be issued if your account(s) are paid in full.

Copies of the following are acceptable proof of payment:

  • cancelled cheque
  • bank statement (showing the payment in question)
  • cashier’s paid stamp on a bill/statement paid at one of the City’s Inquiry and Payment counters
  • receipt of debit payment made at one of the City’s Inquiry and Payment counters

Note: A printout of the payment history from the Property Tax Lookup and Utility Bill Lookup is not acceptable proof of payment.

Additional documents are required, if:

Your property has undergone a change in ownership:

  • Provide a Statement of Adjustments.
  • If a vendor is requesting a refund and a sale has transpired, both the vendor and purchaser Statement of Adjustments along with the vendor’s forwarding address is required.

You are the Power of Attorney or the Executor of the Estate:

  • Provide documents assigning Power of Attorney or Executor of Estate.
  • Provide a Statement of Adjustments (if applicable).

You are the tenant paying the utility bill and are not listed on the account:

  • Provide a letter of direction from the property owner.

You are the property owner and your tenant pays the utility bill:

  • Provide a letter of direction from the tenant.

Property Tax Overpayments at Year-End

If an overpayment has created a credit of less than $3,000 on your tax account at the end of the year, the credit will be transferred and applied to the next upcoming tax billing. This only occurs if there has not been an ownership change within the year of the credit and that the account is in good standing. If there are arrears on the account, such as other charges (for example, outstanding utility bills and/or other charges) the credit will not be automatically transferred.

Refund of Pre-Authorized Payment

If you are enrolled in the pre-authorized payment program and are requesting a refund of an overpayment you may request:

  • from your bank or financial institution a Refusal of Payment, or
  • a refund from the City. Your refund will be processed after 90 days from the date of withdrawal as per your pre-authorized debit agreement in compliance with Payments Canada rules.

Submit Your Request by Email, Fax or Mail:


Fax: 416-696-4131 (refer to Tips on Faxing and Emailing)

City of Toronto
Revenue Services, Refunds Unit
5100 Yonge St., Lower Level,
Toronto, ON M2N 5V7

If you submitted a payment and it is not reflected on your property tax or utility account, contact your financial institution directly to investigate and locate your payment, or, provide proof of payment directly to the City.

For payment investigation inquiries please contact a customer service representative.

Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF)

If any of your cheque payments do not clear through your financial institution for reasons such as insufficient funds, the City will charge you an Dishonoured Cheque Processing Fee with penalty/interest for late payment. A letter will be mailed to you notifying you of the new account balance. Payment is due upon receipt of the letter.