Commercial Bag-Only Annual Base Fee
As part of the 2017 Solid Waste Management Services Budget, Toronto City Council approved a new annual base fee for City of Toronto commercial bag-only (Garbage Tag) customers.
The fee was established to cover the cost of diversion programs, such as Blue Bin recycling and Green Bin organics, as the cost of Garbage Tags only covers the cost of garbage collection.
The 2018 fee is $273.52 and invoices were mailed to customers in February. All bills were sent to property owners, as beginning January 1, 2018, all commercial collection accounts were transferred from the commercial tenants to the property owners.
Effective June 8, 2018, the Commercial Bag-Only Base Fee will be billed to property owners through the Utility Billing system. This bill will be similar to other utility bills issued for water, sewer and/or solid waste fees, but will be for the commercial service location and will only include the annual Commercial Bag-Only Base Fee.
- Commercial bag-only customers are still required to purchase a Garbage Tag for each bag of garbage put out.
- Garbage Tags can be purchased online and at Toronto Canadian Tire and Shoppers Drug Mart stores.
- Each commercial tenant must have its own account and bins.
Utility Billing Cycle & Programs
For Commercial customers enrolled in the Bag Tag Program as of January 1, an annual utility bill will be issued at the beginning of the year.
Opting In/Out of City of Toronto Collection Services:
For Commercial customers that:
- Opt into the Bag Tag Program after January 1, a utility bill will be issued with a prorated charge representing the remainder of the calendar year.
- Opt out of the Bag Tag Program before the end of the calendar year, a credit will be applied to the account.
How to Pay
Effective June 8, 2018, online payment through the Solid Waste Management Services Store will no longer be available. There are a number of different ways to pay the bill.
For any inquiries, please contact 311:
Within Toronto city limits: 311
Outside city limits: 416-392-CITY (2489)
The above can also be used within Toronto if you can’t reach 311
TTY: 416-338-0TTY (0889)