As part of the 2017 Solid Waste Management Services Budget, Toronto City Council approved a new annual base fee for City of Toronto commercial bag-only (Garbage Tag) customers. The fee was established to cover the cost of diversion programs, such as Blue Bin recycling and Green Bin organics, as the cost of Garbage Tags only covers the cost of garbage collection.
|2020 Commercial Bag-Only Annual Base Fee
- Commercial bag-only customers are still required to purchase a Garbage Tag for each bag of garbage put out.
- Garbage Tags can be purchased online and at Toronto Canadian Tire and Shoppers Drug Mart stores.
- Each commercial location must have its own account and bins.
- If service-level adjustments are required for your waste collection, please contact 311.
2018/2019 Retroactive Billing
- Due to a billing error, some of the 2018 and 2019 Commercial Bag-only Annual Base Fees were not billed and are being retroactively billed this year. This is in addition to the regularly scheduled 2020 fee.
- Some customers will have already seen these charges on their bills this year, while others will see them on their upcoming bills.
- The Council-approved fees for 2018 and 2019 are $273.52 and $287.74. If a business opted into the service part-way through the year, the fee for that year will be pro-rated.
- All of the necessary steps are being taken to address the system error and ensure that billing moving forward reflects only the current calendar year.
Utility Billing Cycle & Programs
For Commercial customers enrolled in the Bag Tag Program as of January 1, 2020, an annual utility bill will be issued in late January/early February.
Opting In/Out of City of Toronto Collection Services:
For Commercial customers that:
- Opt into the Bag Tag Program after January 1, a utility bill will be issued with a prorated charge representing the remainder of the calendar year.
- Opt out of the Bag Tag Program before the end of the calendar year, a credit will be applied to the account.
How to Pay
There are a number of different ways to pay the bill.
For any inquiries, please contact 311:
Within Toronto city limits: 311
Outside city limits: 416-392-CITY (2489)
The above can also be used within Toronto if you can’t reach 311
TTY: 416-338-0TTY (0889)