Commercial Bag-Only Annual Base Fee
As part of the 2017 Solid Waste Management Services Budget, Toronto City Council approved a new annual base fee for City of Toronto commercial bag-only (Garbage Tag) customers. The fee was established to cover the cost of diversion programs, such as Blue Bin recycling and Green Bin organics, as the cost of Garbage Tags only covers the cost of garbage collection.
The fee for 2019 is $287.74 and invoices will be mailed to property owners in February.
- Commercial bag-only customers are still required to purchase a Garbage Tag for each bag of garbage put out.
- Garbage Tags can be purchased online and at Toronto Canadian Tire and Shoppers Drug Mart stores.
- Each commercial location must have its own account and bins.
Utility Billing Cycle & Programs
For Commercial customers enrolled in the Bag Tag Program as of January 1, 2019, an annual utility bill will be issued in April. Annual bills are typically sent out at the beginning of the year, but will be going out in April of this year as a result of the 2019 Budget process taking place later than usual due to 2018 being an election year.
Opting In/Out of City of Toronto Collection Services:
For Commercial customers that:
- Opt into the Bag Tag Program after January 1, a utility bill will be issued with a prorated charge representing the remainder of the calendar year.
- Opt out of the Bag Tag Program before the end of the calendar year, a credit will be applied to the account.
How to Pay
There are a number of different ways to pay the bill.
For any inquiries, please contact 311:
Within Toronto city limits: 311
Outside city limits: 416-392-CITY (2489)
The above can also be used within Toronto if you can’t reach 311
TTY: 416-338-0TTY (0889)