The following is a template. Deeds of gift are tailored to the circumstances of each particular donation.
This Deed of Gift is made as of the day of [date]
City of Toronto
WHEREAS the Donor is the owner of certain records which are described in Schedule A attached to this Deed of Gift (the “Records”) and desires to give said Records to the City;
AND WHEREAS the City is authorized to acquire by gift or in any other manner records belonging to or having a bearing on the history of the City;
NOW THEREFORE the parties agree as follows:
1. The Donor warrants that the Donor is the sole and rightful owner of these Records and that the Donor has no knowledge of any claims adverse to such ownership.
2. The Donor irrevocably transfers and assigns to the City, and City accepts:
(a) all right, title and interest in the Records as a gift for the sole and exclusive use of the City;
(b) all copyright in the Records, to the full extent that the Donor is the owner of such copyright.
3. The Donor waives all moral rights the Donor may have associated with any work protected by copyright in the Records or any part of them.
4. The Donor releases all claims that the Donor has or may have in the future to the Records.
5. The Donor accepts that:
(a) the City has the right to use and to copy all or any part of the Records in accordance with the law of copyright in Canada;
(b) the City has the right to review the archival value of the Records, and to dispose of all or any part of the Records that do not possess archival significance in accordance with standard procedures.
(c) all or any part of the Records may be made available to members of the public for inspection in accordance with standard procedures established by the City of Toronto Archives;
(d) the Records made available to members of the public for inspection may be photocopied, photographed, digitized, or otherwise reproduced or copied in accordance with standard procedures;
(e) all or any part of the Records available for public inspection may be placed on public display in the sole discretion of the City;
(f) all or any part of the Records may be reproduced in a machine-readable format for the purposes of publication and distribution at the sole discretion of the City.
6. The Donor authorizes the release of their name as the Donor of the Records or any part of the Records.
5. The Donor confirms the Donor Information set out in Schedule A.
The Donor has signed this Deed of Gift as of the date stated in the introductory clause.
[Signature of witness]
[Signature of donor]
The undersigned, on behalf of the City, acknowledges receipt of the Records on the date stated in the introductory clause.
[signature of City Archivist]
Corporate Information Management Services
Title of Records:
Author or Creator:
Scope and Content:
City / Town: