The Environment & Climate Division is committed to providing a high quality of service and to satisfying public expectations in all of our program areas. We have a procedure for receiving and responding to complaints from the public regarding service, wait time, and actions or lack of action of an employee of our division. We also welcome any compliments or kudos you may have.

Complaints will be reviewed by management and every effort will be made to resolve your concern as quickly as possible.

Making a Complaint or Compliment

Complaints/compliments may be made orally (in person or by telephone) or in writing (by mail, email or fax). As a first step, we recommend you speak directly with the person responsible for the program in question. Most complaints received this way can be resolved quickly.

If you are not satisfied, please submit your complaint/complaint in one of the following ways:

  • By email:
  • By telephone: 416-392-6062
  • By fax: 416-392-4828
  • By mail: Environment & Climate Division, Metro Hall,  55 John St., 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON M5V 3C6

Complaint Information and Timeline

  1. Please complete the Complaint Tracking Form or provide details such as:
    • Contact information including full name of complainant, full address, telephone numbers and email address.
    • Description of complaint, what happened, who was involved, dates and times, building address, service area or location of problem
    • Include names of witnesses, photographs, and other pertinent information
  2. In each stage or step, we will handle your complaints confidentially, investigate and let you know the outcome within 15 business days.
  3. Outside investigators would be called for complaints that are of serious nature or impacts on the public.

Review Process

Complaints will be reviewed by the Director and other management staff. Your complaint will be treated as confidential to protect your privacy; however, you may be identified indirectly when a complaint is investigated. If you do not wish to be identified, you may submit an anonymous complaint.

Office of the Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may present your complaint/concerns to the Office of the Ombudsman.