For the purpose of this policy, a complaint can be about one or more of the following categories:

  • Processes and Procedures: The customer feels that the processes and/or procedures for a particular service are not clear, easy to follow, or relevant.
  • Staff Conduct: The customer feels that staff were not friendly or knowledgeable, that they were unfair, and/or that they did not “go the extra mile” to assist.
  • Access: The customer found it difficult to find relevant, consistent, or accurate information about a service or, once the customer had the right information, had difficulty finding the right place to apply for a service. Additionally, the customer may not may not have known who to contact, or was repeatedly transferred from one person to another.
  • Timeliness of Service: The customer was not served within the time frame specified in the service standard, or no service standard was posted, leaving the customer not knowing what to expect during the service process.
  • Outcome: The customer did not receive a positive outcome from a service. Alternatively, the customer was not given an opportunity to appeal a decision within the service process, or feels that the appeal process is unfair.

Complaint Process

Step One

Please contact 311. A Service Request will be issued to a Solid Waste Manager for investigation and you will be given a reference number. Should the Manager deem a complaint to be serious, the complaint will be escalated to the Director, and if necessary, the General Manager for information and direction. All complaints will be investigated and resolved within 30 days.

Step Two

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint and wish to pursue it further, please write or email the General Manager of Solid Waste who will review the complaint. To assist you in making your complaint, you may wish to use the provided Complaint Tracking Form. You must include the 311 reference number of the initial complaint in your correspondence. All complaints will be investigated and resolved within 30 days.

  • General Mail

General Manager’s Office, Solid Waste Management Services
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen St. W., 25th Floor East Tower
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
Attn: Stephanie Fernandes

Step Three

Should you remain dissatisfied, if appropriate, you may correspond with the City of Toronto’s Ombudsman’s Office.