Construction Schedule & Traffic Updates: Y-B-Y
Construction scheduling and traffic updates for the project can be found here.
|Widen Harbour Street to four lanes along with streetscape improvements||July – January 2018|
|Y-B-Y ramp opening||January 29, 2018|
|Streetscaping improvements and installation of multi-use trail||Late Summer 2018|
The City completed the construction of the new York-Bay-Yonge (Y-B-Y) off-ramp and the widening of Harbour Street in January.
Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists please be aware and obey the new traffic movements, signs and signals along Harbour Street.
Remaining Road and Streetscape Work
The contractor is completing the remaining road and streetscape work on Harbour Street. This work will affect traffic in the area; we appreciate your patience.
The Contractor is completing the following work:
- Install the new multi-use trail on the south side of Harbour Street between Lower Simcoe Street and Bay Street
- Install permanent traffic control signal heads (lights), and permanent pavement markings
- Install new curb and brick gutter on the north side of Harbour Street, between York Street to Bay Street, and permanent sidewalks where required
- All planting and streetscape elements on Harbour Street including:
- 39 new trees, 1,200 shrubs and 5,000 gallons of groundcover
- Granite planters
- Lighting improvements
- Street furniture (garbage cans and bike racks)
- Place final asphalt (top coat) on Harbour Street between Lower Simcoe and Bay Street
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets.
Work is required on both north and south sides of Harbour Street. To minimize disruption, the Contractor will close only one lane of traffic on Harbour Street at a time. The lane closure will then be shifted to the opposite side of the road to complete work in that area.
- During off-peak hours (9:30 a.m. – 3:30 a.m. ), lanes will be reduced on Harbour Street, between Lower Simcoe Street and York Street, as an additional lane will be required to accommodate larger equipment.
- There will be intermittent single-lane closures (7 a.m.– 7 p.m.) between York Street and Bay Street.
- During off-peak hours (9:30 a.m. – 3:30 a.m. ), there will be intermittent single-lane closures on the Y-B-Y off-ramp, to allow work on the Lower Simcoe and Harbour Street intersection, and the multi-use trail on the south side of Harbour Street.
Temporary sidewalk closures will be required for this work to be completed.
- On Harbour Street, between York Street and Bay Street, pedestrian access will be maintained, but will be restricted to the north side of Harbour Street.
- The sidewalks from Lower Simcoe Street to York Street, along the south side of Harbour Street will open when work is completed.
- The multi-use trail from Rees Street to Bay Street, along the south side of Harbour Street will open when work is completed.
These closures can be expected for the remaining construction period.