True Davidson Acres
True Davidson Acres provides individualized care to each of its 187 residents within a safe and friendly environment. Guided by the CARE values – Compassion | Accountability | Respect | Excellence, we are committed to improving quality of life and support for healthy aging.
True Davidson Acres is one of 10 City-operated long-term care homes.
- True Davidson Acres opened in 1973 and was fully renovated in 2005
- The home is named in honour of True Davidson, a former Mayor of East York who was a dedicated and energetic advocate for elderly people
- Located on Dawes Road, the home is built onto a hill overlooking Taylor Creek Park. Architect Jerome Markson received the 1977 Design Excellence Award by the Ontario Association of Architects for the building’s unique design and effective use of landscape
- There are 10 resident home areas, each equipped with dining room, living room and recreation spaces
- The home features warm colours and comfortable furnishings
- Each resident has a Memory Box to decorate with personal mementos
- Basic, semi-private and private accommodations have also been designed to enhance each resident’s privacy.
True Davidson Acres offers the following specialized services:
- Behavioural Support Programs
- Short-stay Respite
- Convalescent Care
Behavioural Support Programs
As recognized leaders in behavioural support programs, we have a long history of demonstrated knowledge of dementia, delirium and mental health in the delivery of care.
Staff and medical professionals are knowledgeable in the most prevalent types and related causes of behavioural issues, understand disease processes, stages and progression, diagnostic and assessment process, cognitive or neurological symptoms, treatment interventions, appropriate communication to address resident needs, strategies to promote optimal quality of life and experience of the behaviour(s) from the perspective of the resident, family members and other partners in care.
The short-stay admission program supports families seeking respite from the caregiver role for a period of up to 60 continuous days to a maximum of 90 days per year.
Convalescent Care is a short-term, physical rehabilitation program to help individuals return to independent living. Services include:
- Specialized medical and rehabilitation therapeutic support
- An individual care plan to help you regain your strength and independence
- Guidance for your family and caregivers to best support you when you return home.
Our inter-professional care team includes doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, rehabilitation assistants, dietitians, social workers and members of the spiritual and religious care community. They will work with you to make sure you get the services you need, when you need them. Quality health and person-centred care will be provided in your room to allow for privacy, rest and comfort. Your care needs will determine your length of stay. The annual, maximum stay time is 90 days.
We offer a full range of services including nursing, medicine, food and nutrition, administration, building services, and innovative programs and services including:
- social work
- spiritual and religious care
- complementary care
- music therapy
- art therapy.
Families are an integral part in helping make the best decisions for their family member. We offer many opportunities for families to be involved:
- Resident care conferences
- Family Council
- Satisfaction surveys
- Volunteer services.
- Volunteers are important members of the care team at True Davidson Acres. They provide the essential connections with the community that are so important to our residents. Many different volunteer opportunities exist, but no matter what activities volunteers are involved in, they share a special brand of caring that brings our homes to life
- For over forty years, the Kiwanis Club of East York has been a proud supporter of True Davidson Acres. Over the years, the Kiwanis Club of East York has run a monthly Bingo and hosted an annual barbeque for the residents
- We enjoy a unique partnership with the Toronto District School Board and the Toronto Intergenerational Program, welcoming communities for Newcomer Youth & Kids initiative
- In partnership with The 519 and the Seniors Pride Network, we support a welcoming LGBT environment.
Take a Virtual Tour
If you are interested in a guided personal tour, please call 416-397-0400