Find information on utility bill payment options, accessing your utility account information and inquiry on payment issues.

MyToronto Pay is a convenient way to pay and manage multiple City services from one secure profile. Pay your property tax or utility bill, view your bill, sign-up for eBilling or enrol for utility bill pre-authorized payments.


The City issues utility bills following a four-month (three times a year) or monthly billing cycle. To ensure your payment reaches the City by the due date, and to avoid losing your utility bill’s early payment discount, we suggest making your payment electronically through MyToronto Pay, or through your financial institution’s online banking, or through our Pre-Authorized Utility Payment Program. If mailing payment through Canada Post, allow time for mail delivery and send payment several days before the due date.

MyToronto Pay

Using MyToronto Pay, utility bill payments can be made by electronic funds transfer with no convenience fee, or credit card and debit card with a convenience fee charged by industry.

NEW! Enrol in Pre-Authorized Payments online!

A convenient way to set up automatic payments using your credit/debit card or bank account, and manage your pre-authorized payment plan on MyToronto Pay.

Learn more about pre-authorized utility bill payments.

If you cannot enrol for pre-authorized payment on MyToronto Pay, please follow the instructions on the 311 Pre-Authorized Utility Payment page or call 311. Outside of the City Limits, call 416-392-CITY (2489).

Financial Institutions

Pay your utility bill at banks or financial institutions through online banking, telephone banking, at an automatic teller or in-person. To avoid late penalties and interest, please pay well before the due date, processing times for your payment can vary.

To register and pay through online banking:

  • You will need your 20 digit account and client number from your utility bill.
  • Sign in to your financial institution’s secure website and select either of the following as the payee:
Name of Financial Institution Payee Listing for Utility Bills  
BMO (Bank of Montreal) (opens in new window) Toronto, City of, Utility
CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) (opens in new window) Toronto (City of) Utility Bill
National Bank (opens in new window) City of Toronto Utilities
RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) (opens in new window) City of Toronto Utility Bill
Scotiabank (opens in new window) Toronto (City) Utility bill
TD Canada Trust (opens in new window) Toronto (City of) Utility bill

If your bank is not listed, please contact your financial institution for information.

Payee information is subject to change without notice. If you require assistance, please contact your bank or financial institution.

Updating your Payment Information

Be sure to select the correct bill payee and confirm your account number matches your current bill. A Payment Re-Distribution Fee will apply on requests to re-distribute electronic payment(s) made to an incorrect account. If you have recently purchased, sold or moved from a property, review tips on managing your accounts.

Mail-In Payment

Post-dated cheques are accepted for the due dates. Cheques are payable to the Treasurer, City of Toronto.

Mail to:

Treasurer, City of Toronto
PO Box 6000 Willowdale STN A
Toronto, ON M2N 5V3

If mailing payment through Canada Post, send payment several days before the due date to allow for delivery. Payment must reach out offices by the due date to avoid penalty and interest charges.

Note: Do not send cash by mail. Cheques submitted for payment can not be retrieved or returned. Customers must contact their financial institution to place a stop payment on any cheque(s) they do not want to be cashed.

Inquiry & Payment Counters and Drop Box Services

Property Tax, Utility and Parking Violation Inquiry & Payment Counters are open. Counters at Metro Hall remain closed.

You can make payment by cash, cheque, money order, or debit card. If making payment via drop box, cheque or money order is accepted.

Two ways to access your account information:

MyToronto Pay

MyToronto Pay provides an easy way to manage bills and payments, including bill reminders, eBilling to manage your bills online, with the ability to save and use secure payment options.

New! Set up pre-authorized utility bill payments and never miss another payment discount. You can enrol and manage you payment information on MyToronto Pay.

Utility Account Lookup

Sign-in to the Utility Account Lookup, view your account details, billing and payment information.

We are experiencing delays in the processing of customer service refund requests. To monitor the status of your request by accessing your utility account with the Utility Bill Lookup, or contact a customer service representative at 311 – Tax & Utility Inquiry phone line, outside City limits call 416-392-CITY (2489).

Refund/Credit Transfer or Paid the Wrong Account

Requests for refund or transfer of a credit balance due to an overpayment or a payment applied to a wrong account will require proof of payment. Fees may apply. If you have an outstanding balance on your account any applicable credit will be applied to your balance. If you own more than one property, available credits will be applied to outstanding balance(s) on any of your property tax accounts to bring account(s) up-to-date. Refunds will only be issued if your account(s) are paid in full.

Copies of the following are acceptable proof of payment:

  • cancelled cheque
  • bank statement (showing the payment in question)
  • cashier’s paid stamp on a bill/statement paid at one of the City’s Inquiry and Payment counters
  • receipt of debit payment made at one of the City’s Inquiry and Payment counters

Note: A printout of the payment history from the Utility Bill Lookup is not acceptable proof of payment.

Additional documents are required, if:

Your property has undergone a change in ownership:

  • Provide a Statement of Adjustments.
  • If a vendor is requesting a refund and a sale has transpired, both the vendor and purchaser Statement of Adjustments along with the vendor’s forwarding address is required.

You are the Power of Attorney or the Executor of the Estate:

  • Provide documents assigning Power of Attorney or Executor of Estate.
  • Provide a Statement of Adjustments (if applicable).

You are the tenant paying the utility bill and are not listed on the account:

  • Provide a letter of direction from the property owner.

You are the property owner and your tenant pays the utility bill:

  • Provide a letter of direction from the tenant.

Refund of Pre-Authorized Payment

To request a refund of an overpayment through the pre-authorized payment program, you have two options.

  • Contact your bank or financial institution and ask for a Refusal of Payment.
  • Contact the City. The City will process a refund after 90 days from the date of withdrawal as per your pre-authorized debit agreement in compliance with Payment Canada rules.

If you submitted a payment and it is not reflected on your utility account, contact your financial institution directly to investigate and locate your payment, or, provide proof of payment directly to the City.

For payment investigation inquiries please contact a customer service representative.

If any of your payments do not clear through your financial institution for reasons such as insufficient funds, the City will charge you a processing fee with penalty/interest for late payment. A letter will be mailed to you notifying you of the new account balance. Payment is due upon receipt of the letter.