Rather than doing it yourself, you may prefer to seek the professional advice and services of a City-licensed contractor to perform the disconnection. If you choose to hire a contractor, be consumer-wise. To ensure the job is completed properly:
- Get at least three quotes.
- Get references from other customers.
- Enter into a written contract.
- Ensure that all work to be done (including site cleanup) is clearly stated in the contract.
- Ensure that the full price of the job is in the contract.
- Agree with your contractor on a payment schedule and include the schedule in the contract.
- Be aware of any contractors who:
- Quote prices before seeing the job.
- Give you a “special price.”
- Offer discounts if they can “use your home to advertise their services.”
Learn more from the Better Business Bureau.