Requesting Historical Materials: The Basics
Original historical materials are stored in our records centre.
- Search our online database and build a list
- Generate and print out a Records Request Form
- Give the form to staff at the Archives Reference Desk
- Wait up to an hour for the records to be brought to you from records centre storage.
Requesting Records on Saturdays
We cannot retrieve boxes from our storage area on Saturdays. If you would like to visit the Archives on a Saturday, please phone or email us no later than noon on Friday, and give us up to five box numbers. We will order the boxes and have them waiting for your visit on Saturday.
Requesting Records with Restricted Access
There are some materials that you may see only under certain conditions. You can see these under “Accession conditions” in the database.
- Government records may be restricted by provincial access and privacy legislation.
- For some non-government records, you’ll need to fill out a form asking the permission of the donor before you see the records.
- For records that contain sensitive information, you’ll need to submit an application for access for non-government records.
Archives staff can help you identify which materials are restricted, and how you can request access to them.