Appointments are no longer necessary for visits to the Toronto Archives Research Hall, however they are recommended.
Pre-booked appointments ensure the following services:
• Guaranteed access to the Research Hall.
• Materials can be ordered and be delivered in advance.
• Assistance and advice from archives staff before your visit.
Groups of four or more are required to book an appointment.
Preparing for a visit
Prepare your research
- Determine your specific research subject and areas of interest.
- Search the online database to identify records of interest.
- Complete a records request form, if needed.
- Request or identify the type of material you wish to see before an appointment.
- For appointments, box requests should be submitted at least 48 hours in advance.
- A maximum of five archival boxes can be ordered prior to the appointment. Additional material may be retrieved during the appointment.
- You may bring a phone or camera to copy materials and/or a USB stick to save material from microfiche and film.
- You may bring your own pencils and writing material. Pens are not permitted in the Research Hall.
- Photocopying services are not available.
Booking an appointment
Appointment bookings are made up to one week in advance for the following daily time-slots:
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. – noon and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
The Research Hall will be closed from noon – 1 p.m.
Request an appointment
Once your request is received, Archives’ staff may contact you for further information about your request.
If you are experiencing difficulties with our bookings system, please contact us.
The following services are available at the Toronto Archives Research Hall:
- Assistance from Archives’ staff.
- Access to archival records (best to be ordered in advance).
- Access to microfilm and microfiche.
- Access to shelved material including Toronto and Metropolitan Toronto Council Minutes, reference library, building permits indices and paper finding aids.
An overview of the Archives’ collection is found in What’s in the Archives.
The following records are unavailable at the Archives and may be available elsewhere: