The City is using the online tool Webex to support virtual public meetings, consultations and other engagement activities. The instructions outlined here are for Webex Events (not Meetings) and will help residents join and participate in these City engagement activities.
If you need a disability-related accommodation to participate in a City online event, please let the organizing staff know as soon as possible to ensure they can work with you to determine a suitable accommodation.
How to Join a City Webex Event
How to Join Using a Phone – Audio only
City staff organizing the engagement event will provide the call-in information. If you are registered to speak at a Committee Meeting, please reply with your phone or TTY number to the registration email you will receive.
- Call the local phone number provided.
- To continue in English, press “1” followed by the “#” key.
- Enter the Meeting Number followed by the “#” key.
- An Attendee ID number is not required to join the meeting. Follow the prompts on the phone to skip the Attendee ID number by pressing the “#” key.
- You will be placed into the engagement event.
- You will be automatically muted upon joining the event (and unmuted by the host when needed).
How to Join on a Computer – Audio and Video
City staff organizing the engagement event will provide the Webex link. You can use the Webex link both with or without downloading the Webex application.
- Click on the link provided.
- In the “Event Information” page, enter your name and email address. Click “Submit“, followed by “Join Now“.
- You will be prompted to a “Run the temporary Webex application” screen. If you do not want to download the WebEx application, Click on “Join from your browser“.
- If you would like to download the Webex application, click on “Download Application” to install the app. If this is the first time you have used Webex on this computer, a “Terms of Service” box may also appear. Click “Accept” to enter the engagement event.
- To speak during the event, you must connect to a microphone on your computer or use your phone (please see the About Webex & Accessibility section on this page for more information).
- Set up Audio connection – for best sound quality and connectivity, we recommend the “Call Me” option for audio connections:
- In the “Audio Connection” pop-up window, select: “Call Me“.
- Confirm the country code selected is for “Canada +1“.
- Enter the area code and phone number of the phone you would like to use for the engagement event.
- Confirm “Join the teleconference without pressing “1”” is selected.
- Click on “Connect Audio“.
- You will receive a phone call from Webex, answer the call. Phone calls will usually be from American phone numbers. Webex will immediately identify themselves at the beginning of the call and connect you to the audio portion of the engagement event.
Call Using Computer
- In the “Audio Connection” pop-up window, select: Change Settings under “Call Using Computer”.
- Select the speaker option you would like to use for your audio connection. If you are using an audio device connected to your computer (USB headset or headphones with a microphone) they must be connected prior to entering the event.
- Select your microphone option from the drop-down list. Do not turn it off.
- Click on “OK“.
I will Call In
- In the “Audio Connection” pop-up window, select: “I Will Call In“.
- From the phone, you would like to use for the meeting call the local phone number.
- You will be prompted to select a language, for English enter “1” followed by “#“.
- Enter the “Access Code (Meeting ID Number)” followed by “#“.
- Enter your “Attendee ID” followed by “#“, Webex will connect you to the audio portion of the engagement event.
- You will be able to change the audio setting at any time during the event by clicking on the “Audio Connection” button and choosing one of the other options.
How to Join on a Device (Smart Phone or Tablet)
You can join using the Webex App available in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Open the app and click on “Join Meeting“.
- Enter the Meeting ID number provided by City staff.
- Enter your name and email address and click join.
- Before entering the meeting, a pop-up window will appear asking you to allow the app to access your phone’s microphone. Click “OK“.
- A second pop window will appear asking you if you will allow the app to access your phone’s camera. Click “OK“.
- You will now be able to join the meeting or event and control your audio and video.
Find more information about Webex Events on the Cisco Webex website.
Changing Your Screen View
You can change your view to either the active speaker or grid view in an online engagement event. You can find these buttons in the top right corner.
It is recommended to put your screen on the Grid mode. When material is shared it will automatically be switched to the Active Speaker mode by the Host or Presenter.
How to Participate Using a Screen Reader
If you use a screen reader, you can participate in City virtual engagement events in the following ways.
Webex’s Mobile App
The Webex app for both iPhone and Android is the preferred method of engagement for screen reader users. iPhone’s VoiceOver and Android’s TalkBack are both good at announcing elements. You can use your fingers to navigate everything on the screen.
Tips for the best experience:
- Periodically navigate the screen with a zig zag motion to allow the screen reader to read out any potentially unread messages.
- Many popup windows in the mobile app do not have a close button. Navigate out of a popup window by tapping an empty area to close it. A common empty area is the top quarter of the screen.
If you don’t have a mobile device, the next best way to use Webex with a screen reader is via a web browser.
Select the Join by Browser option beneath the Join Now button when you enter the event. You will be taken to the web version of Webex.
Chrome and Firefox
The preferred browsers to use are Chrome and FireFox.
Tips for the best experience:
- Use the tab, F, B and arrow keys to interact with the web app.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate around a particular element to determine its purpose if it isn’t clear.
- If you have low vision, maximize the browser window before zooming into the web app, then use horizontal and vertical scrolling.
The screen reader typically used with IE is JAWS.
Tip for the best experience:
- As with Chrome and Firefox, use the tab, F, B and arrow keys to interact with the web app.
Important Note on the Webex Desktop App
As the Webex desktop app has significant accessibility flaws that Cisco is addressing, we do not recommend using it at this time. We will update this page as new information becomes available.
How to Speak or Ask Questions During a City Webex Event
Events with Opportunities to Ask Questions
If you are registered to speak at a Committee meeting, please see the instructions, How to Speak at Committee Meetings, after this section.
City staff will be the “Host” and “Presenter” in Webex Events. You are automatically muted upon entering the event and the Host or Presenter will unmute you when you can ask a question. You will be muted again once your question is asked.
The Presenter will share their screen to display supporting materials when required. You will not be visible during the meeting.
Using the Raise Your Hand Option (an icon of a raised hand will be on screen next to your name or phone number)
- Once your hand icon is “raised” (selected), your name will be placed into a queue based on the order of who raised their hand first, and the Host will see that your hand is raised.
- The Host will select and individually unmute participants with their hand raised icon by announcing their name.
- When you are selected and unmuted, you will hear two beeps. This means you can ask the City staff and team your question.
- The Host will mute you after you’ve spoken. You will hear one beep.
- City staff and others identified by the Host at the engagement event will answer your questions verbally.
- Please remember to lower (un-select) your hand icon after your question.
- When you are given the chance to speak, please ensure your participation follows the Code of Conduct guidelines below.
Using the Webex Q&A Function (if available)
If you are joining the online engagement event by using Webex through an Internet browser or the Webex App on your computer:
- Click the “…” button at the bottom of the video window and select “Q&A”.
- Type your question in the box to the lower right hand of your screen.
- Click “Send” or “Send Privately“. Only the City staff will be able to see your questions.
If you are joining the online engagement event by using a mobile device (a smartphone or tablet):
- Click the “…” button at the bottom of your screen and select “Q&A”.
- Type your question in the box and click “Send“.
- Only staff will be able to see your questions.
How to Speak at Virtual Committee/Community Council Meetings
About Webex & Accessibility
If you require a disability-related accommodation to participate in an online City event, please let the organizing staff know as soon as possible after you have registered to ensure they can work with you to determine a suitable accommodation. Accessibility at the City outlines ways to access City’s services and programs that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
The City has been using Cisco Webex as its primary virtual conferencing tool for approximately eight years, prior to the existence of many other virtual platforms. Webex is a secure platform that integrates with the City’s existing technology assets, aligns with our security standards and policies, responds to the unique needs of City divisions and allows for efficient coordination between the City, its Agencies and Corporations and residents.
The City has become aware of some accessibility limitations within the Webex platform and has escalated these issues to Cisco, the platform developer. The City is committed to swiftly addressing these accessibility concerns and are currently collaborating with Cisco to mitigate them. Future updates to Webex will enhance access for all online engagement participants. The City will provide updates as they become available.
City online engagement events, meetings, meetings or other forms of public consultation may be recorded. Please consult with the City staff organizing the event to determine if the event will be recorded, and if so, how the recording is being made available.
If you do not wish to be recorded, please speak with the staff organizing the event about other ways to provide your input.
Code of Conduct
Participation in an online engagement event is not like participating in an in-person event. All participants have an even greater role to play to achieve a successful online engagement event.
- One voice at a time. Be direct and frame questions to specific speakers.
- Be brief and limit yourself to one question or comment at a time, there will be other opportunities to engage.
- Be a good listener and keep an open mind.
- Use the Raise Hand function of the Webex program to ask questions or make a comment.
- Be respectful. The City of Toronto is an inclusive public organization. Racist or other forms of discriminatory, prejudicial, or hateful comments and questions will not be tolerated.