Cummer Lodge provides individualized care to each of its 391 residents within a safe and friendly environment. Guided by the CARE values – Compassion | Accountability | Respect | Excellence, we are committed to improving quality of life and support for healthy aging. To learn more, watch the Commitment to Care video.
Cummer Lodge is one of 10 City-operated long-term care homes.
Built in 1970 and renovated in 2000, Cummer Lodge sits on 4.5 acres of landscaped property overlooking a wooded ravine.
Special language and cultural partnerships within the home community include:
Cummer Lodge offers the following specialized services:
- Behavioural Support Programs
- Short-stay Respite
- Young Adult Care
- Adult Day Program
Behavioural Support Programs
As recognized leaders in behavioural support programs, we have a long history of demonstrated knowledge of dementia, delirium and mental health in the delivery of care. Cummer Lodge has a Ministry-designated 16-bed Behavioural Support Unit which receives enhanced funding.
Staff and medical professionals are knowledgeable in the most prevalent types and related causes of behavioural issues, understand disease processes, stages and progression, diagnostic and assessment process, cognitive or neurological symptoms, treatment interventions, appropriate communication to address resident needs, strategies to promote optimal quality of life and experience of the behaviour(s) from the perspective of the resident, family members and other partners in care.
The short-stay admission program supports families seeking respite from the caregiver role for a period of up to 60 continuous days to a maximum of 90 days per year.
- A multicultural setting, where residents of diverse religions and cultures live together while respecting each other beliefs and traditions, we offer a variety of culturally appropriate services
- We believe that every resident has individual needs and must be involved in decisions regarding his or her care. Taking a holistic approach in the care of each resident, the inter-professional team of highly trained and dedicated staff considers the physical, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual needs of each individual, to help each resident attain the highest possible quality of life. Care of the individual is planned with the resident and family/friend involvement to ensure it is consistent and based on resident’s values, beliefs, and wishes.
Families are an integral part in helping make the best decisions for their family member. We offer many opportunities for families to be involved:
- Resident care conferences
- Family Council
- Satisfaction surveys
- Volunteer services.
- We value partnerships and work closely with our hospitals and faith groups including Jewish Family and Children Services. We receive education from the Alzheimer and Huntington’s Society in addition to organizations like REENA who support our residents who are developmentally delayed
- We are proud of our over 300 volunteers – young and old – who support Cummer Lodge and our residents.
Take a Virtual Tour
If interested in a guided personal tour, please call 416-392-9500