Before You Arrive
The province of Ontario provides a wealth of useful information about moving here.
Determine Your Budget
- Save enough money to cover living expenses, such as rent, food, clothing and transportation, for up to six months.
- Check the federal government’s useful advice for estimating how much it will cost you to live in Canada.
Get Your Travelling Documents Together
- Make sure you have a valid travel document, a valid visa and confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and each family member traveling with you.
- Check a list of important documents for your move to Canada and a list of items that can and cannot be brought into the country.
- Gather any other important family documents including marriage certificates, diplomas, transcripts and medical records.
Get Your Health Records Together
- All Canadian residents are covered for major medical and hospital costs by provincial health insurance programs. Make sure to bring any health documents with you that can help your future doctor give you and your family the best care, including immunization records, lists of medical conditions and major surgeries, and lists of medications frequently taken.
- Purchase private health insurance for the first three months in Canada.
Find a Place to Stay
Decide What to Pack
Learn How to Get Around Toronto
Whether you’re taking transit, walking, cycling or driving, Toronto has one of the world’s most advanced transportation networks.
- Learn about the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) which runs the buses, subways and streetcars in Toronto.
- Check out Metrolinx to learn about transit options connecting to regions beyond central Toronto.
Prepare for Employment
- Learn what it takes to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker.
- Look into getting accreditation for your expertise.
- It is recommended to get the following work-related documents translated into English: a resume, diplomas, degrees, certificates and other proof of qualifications, school records or transcripts, letters of recommendations.
- Check out the federal government’s latest information on working in Canada.
- Look into provincial resources for immigrating to Ontario for work.
- Do some research on Toronto job opportunities in your field before you arrive, through the federal Job Bank.
- Check out City resources for finding a job once you arrive.
Prepare to Start a Business in Canada
- Explore City resources for entrepreneurs planning to start a business in Toronto.
- Learn why Toronto is one of the world’s top cities to invest in and for starting a company.
- Look into Ontario provincial resources for immigrants wishing to start a business
- Check out information from the federal government about:
Prepare to Study in Canada
- Check out the federal government’s information on how to study in Canada.
- Learn about the many world-class universities and colleges in the Toronto region.
- Look into provincial resources for immigrants wishing to study in Ontario.
- Look into options for student housing for when you arrive in Toronto.