Decks and Porches
A Building Permit review for a deck, veranda or porch to an existing house. A permit is required for decks that are more than 60 cm (24 inches) above ground.
All drawings to be done on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in PDF format on a re-writable DVD, a USB drive or submitted by email.
Plans for decks and porches
- Details of footings, including footing size, spacing, depth, height above grade and frost protection details.
- Sizes and locations of all columns; sizes, locations and spans of all beams.
- Stair Construction Details, including height and depth of stair treads and headroom above stairs (where applicable).
- Guard Construction Details, including information about openings and climbability, and the location of the guards with respect to stairways, landings, and edges of the proposed platform.
- Survey or site plan showing property lines, lot area, right-of-way or easements (referenced to a current survey)
- Location of existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and include setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions to include lot area, building area (GFA), coverage and grade elevations to confirm height.
- Indicate dimensioned parking areas, driveways, hard and soft landscape treatments, accessory structures (sheds, decks, detached garages, etc).
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Required for all projects where there is a potential for damage to private or City trees. Applicant is also responsible to comply with other tree protection bylaws.
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a re-writable DVD or USB drive containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests. No paper copies will be required.
|Fee Effective Jan. 1, 2019|
|Residential Decks, Porches, Carports||$198.59|
Please DO NOT include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).