Garages and Carports
A building permit review for a carport or garage that is an accessory to an existing house.
All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, USB or submitted by email.
- Survey or site plan showing property lines, lot area, right-of-way or easements (referenced to a current survey)
- Location of existing/proposed buildings with overall dimensions and include setback dimensions to property lines and adjacent buildings.
- Summary of permitted and proposed zoning provisions to include lot area, building area (GFA), coverage, and grade elevations to confirm height.
- Indicate dimensioned parking areas, driveways, hard & soft landscape treatments, accessory structures (sheds, decks, detached garages, etc).
Garage or Accessory Structure to be shown on Site Plan, showing:
- Location of all existing and proposed buildings on the lot, setbacks to property lines, distance between proposed structure and other buildings on the lot.
- Dimensions and locations of all required vehicle parking spaces and the driveway used to access the spaces(s).
- Floor Plans, Elevations, Sections, Construction Details of the structure, including the details of the concrete floor slab, such as the concrete strength and re-enforcement proposed.
Construction Details and Notes
- Building materials & specifications of all wall, floor, and roof assemblies with typical wall section and typical roof detail.
- Provide guard details including connection detail.
Building permit application form required for all submissions
Required for all designers, except Engineers and Architects when applying for any Construction Permit. Property Owners, if exempted, from Qualification / Certification, they must fill-in the form to specify the reason for exemption.
Required for all projects where there is a potential for damage to private or City trees. Applicant is also responsible to comply with other Tree Protection By-laws.
Apply by Email
Please note: not all projects are eligible for email submission. Review the list of eligible applications and detailed email submission process.
To submit an application by email please use the ‘Email’ button on top of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish.
Apply in Person
Customers also have the option to attend ANY Toronto Building Customer Service counter to make an application for any of the services listed above. Customers will be asked to present a re-writable DVD or USB containing all the necessary materials for the eligible service requests. No paper copies will be required.
|Fee Effective Jan. 1, 2019|
|Residential Decks, Porches, Carports||$198.59|
Please DO NOT include any personal information on your Building Plans (e.g., the homeowner’s name or phone number). Building Plans submitted for Permit are subject to disclosure in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).