All drawings to be drawn on standardized sized sheets, drawn to scale, fully dimensioned, signed and dated.
Third Party Sign Permit
A Third Party Sign Permit is required before putting up a sign used to advertise a business or service which is not located on or available at the property.
Sign / Building Permit
If drawings were prepared by a qualified designer (as defined under Div. C, Part 3, Section 3.2 of the Ontario Building Code), drawings must include the designer’s name, registration number, qualification identification number, signature, and stamp/statement that the person has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities.
All drawings, reports, and forms, including the completed forms, must be provided in a PDF format on a re-writable DVD, USB or submitted by email.
Details of the type of copy proposed (ie. electronic, readograph, static).
Notes and details about lighting design and illumination levels for the sign.
Fully dimensioned drawings showing the sign proposal and location on the building or lot, including location and dimensions of any other signs on the building or lot.
Showing property lines and setbacks (sign and building) as well as the proposed sign location, the location any other signs on the building or lot.
Photographs of the site and/or building with the new sign proposal (optional).
Height of sign above surrounding grades. Distance of sign from property lines and street lines.
Wall, Projecting and Overhanging Structure Signs
Depth and height of the building. Clearance from grade to the bottom of the sign. Elevations including storey levels and their heights. Location of windows and other openings.
Structural Information Required
(Required for most signs, other than Window or Painted signs)
Loading Information* (Snow Loads, Wind Loads, Earthquake Loads). Information of Combustion of Sign face/Materials.
For Wall Signs only: Cross section showing the depth of the sign and structural capability of the building or structure to which the sign is attached. Sign weight and attachment details.
For Ground Signs only: Foundation design and attachment details. Soil Parameters.
* where a building permit is required for the sign.
To apply for a Third Party sign permit, you will need:
- Application to Construct or Demolish
- Third Party Sign Permit Application
- Letter of Authorization from Property Owner
- Drawings – Cross-Section, Elevation and Site Plan (see an example)
- Schedule 1: Designer Information
- Tree Declaration (ground signs only)
- Commitment to General Review
Third Party Sign Permits applications also require a Survey prepared and signed by an Official Land Surveyor (OLS), with the following requirements:
- The property lines and other boundaries of the lot upon which it is proposed to erect, display, modify or restore the Third Party Sign;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign in relation to buildings and other structures on the lot;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign in relation to buildings and other structures on abutting and adjacent lots;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign to other Third Party Signs within the minimum distancing requirements;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign in relation to other lots located within the minimum distancing requirements;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign to R-Residential, to RA-Residential Apartment, and to OS-Open Space sign districts;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign to the nearest intersection of two street lines, where the Third Party Sign is within 15 metres of such an intersection;
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign to the intersection of a major street with any other street where the Third Party Sign is within 35 metres of such an intersection; and
- The location of the proposed Third Party Sign to the nearest site specific area restriction, if applicable and as required by §694-24A.
All distances, and relative locations listed above shall describe the distances from the outermost limits of the proposed Third Party Sign, as provided for in §694-14A.
The Applicant will also file a statement confirming accuracy of the site plan signed by the Applicant and signed and stamped by the OLS who prepared the site plan.
Only electronic applications are accepted, and can be sent via email to email@example.com. Please make sure you send all required forms, documents and drawings in PDF format.
For applications submitted via email, we accept credit card payments over the phone. Please call our main line at 416-392-8000.
Only electronic applications are accepted in person at our front counter. Please make sure you bring all required forms, documents and drawings in PDF format to our counter on a USB drive or disc.
The fees can be paid in person by debit, credit card or certified cheque (under $2,000.00). Cheques should be made out to “Treasurer, City of Toronto”.
|Wall Signs||$34.15 per square metre|
|Ground Signs||$34.15 per square metre|
|Projecting Signs||$34.15 per square metre|
|Overhanging Structure Signs||$34.15 per square metre|
|Roof signs||$40.95 per square metre|
|Topiary Signs||$302.93 per sign|
|Renewal of Sign Permit||$20.51 per square metre|
|Renewal of Topiary Sign Permit||$143.46 per sign|
|Building Permit (DS)||$64.00|