What Do I Need to Do to Be Able to Operate?

  • obtain a motorized refreshment vehicle owner licence
  • obtain an ice cream vending permit
  • optional: Obtain a mobile food vending permit to operate on city streets. Ice cream vendors can apply for a mobile food vending permit to operate like a food truck.

 Where and When Can I Operate?

  • on local and residential streets in all parts of the city for up to 30 minutes at a time
  • up to 30 minutes on one street
  • at least 30 metres from a school

Individuals, partnerships or corporations

Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.

Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.

Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.

Identification Requirements

Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).

Include two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):

  • Canadian Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Canadian Birth Certificate
  • Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
  • Valid Work Permit


  • First and last names must match on all identification.
  • We do not accept Health Cards.
  • Identification is required for all officers/directors listed on the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Profile or Federal Form 6

Business Requirements

All applicants must also provide the following:

  • a business location/address
  • a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement

Corporations must also provide:

  • a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
  • the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
    • original as copies will not be accepted
    • signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.

If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:

  • have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
  • provide two pieces of identification for themselves
  • provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.

Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check

Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.

A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.

Insurance Requirements

Applicants must provide proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.

The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.

Vehicle Ownership

An original provincial vehicle registration, where the name and address match the applicants.

Vehicle Requirements

Painted with Contrasting Colours on Both Sides of Vehicle

Client’s Name: 10 cm. (approx. 4 inches) in height

Business Name: 10 cm. (approx. 4 inches) in height

Licence Number: 6.3 cm. (approx. 2.5 inches) in height

Plate Number: 15 cm. (approx. 6 inches) in height

Public Health Inspection & Food Handler’s Certificate

Proof of a Health Inspection from Toronto Public Health.  You can arrange this by calling 311 or the Health Connection Line at 416-338-7600.

Food Handler Certification for owner and any staff.

Propane Tank Field Approval & Contractor Inspection

A Field Approval for equipment from the Technical Standards and Safety Association (TSSA).

A inspection by a TSSA-certified technician.  Some certified technicians are listed on the TSSA site.

Safety Inspection

An original valid Safety Standards Certificate 

Product List

A list of items to be sold and list of supplies.

Driving Record Abstract

A copy of the applicant’s driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation. This record should be less than 30 days old.

Motorized Refreshment Vehicle Licence:  $1,198.92

Staff will take a photo of the owner, if a Sole Proprietor, at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office.

To operate on public roads, vendors require an ice cream vending permit. Vendors on private property do not require a permit, but require the permission of the property owner and applicable zoning by-laws may apply. See Chapter 740 for vending restrictions.

Permit fee

  • Six-month permit: $330.73
  • Nine-month permit: $496.10
  • One-year permit: $661.49

*All fees include HST


Applicants must provide proof of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.

The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.

Business Licence

Proof of a valid Motorized Refreshment Vehicle Owner Licence.

Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.

The renewal fee is $797.49

A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.

Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.

If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.