Utility Billing Cycle & Relief Programs
Your metered utility account will be billed following a four month billing cycle, which means you will receive your utility bill three times a year.
If your account is billed on a Flat Rate system, you can find out more about switching to metered billing from Toronto Water. You will incur a Flat Rate Legacy Fee if you do not arrange for water meter installation.
If you have accessibility needs and require a different bill format, please contact 311, the Tax and Utility Inquiry Line at 416-392-2489 or TTY phone line 416-392-0719.
Billing Types and Frequency
Low Volume Water User
If you use less than 6,000 cubic metres (m³) – 6 million litres, or 1.25 million gallons of water per year, your water meter will be read and billed every four months or three times a year.
High Volume Water User
If you use more than 6,000 cubic metres (m³) – 6 million litres, or 1.25 million gallons of water per year, your water meter will be read and billed on a monthly basis.
Solid Waste Billing
- Homeowners or garbage only
- Most town homes
- Some multi-residential properties
- Charities, institutions and organizations:
- City agencies, boards, commissions and divisions
- Yellow bag
- churches, institutions and religious organizations
Billed Monthly, Tri-Annually or Semi-Annually
- billed on the same cycle as the customer’s water billing, where there is an existing utility account
- monthly solid waste billing for multi-residential, front-end collection customers
- Building management and superintendents
- Apartments above stores:
- residential unit(s) above commercial properties
Commercial Bag-Only Annual Base Fee
Effective June 8, 2018, the Commercial Bag-Only Base Fee will be billed to property owners through the Utility Billing system. You will receive a bill similar to your utility bill issued for water/sewer and solid waste fees. This billing will be for the annual Commercial Bag-Only Base Fee only.
- Payment options are the same as for a utility bill.
- You are required to purchase a garbage tag for every bag of garbage put out. Garbage tags can be purchased at Toronto Canadian Tire and Shoppers Drug Mart stores or online at toronto.ca/solidwastestore.
- If payment of the fee is not received, the account will follow the utility bill collection process and may have the unpaid balance and applicable fee (overdue utility amounts added to the tax roll) transferred to the property owner’s tax account.
Adding a Tenant/Agent to Receive Utility Bills
- Property owners wishing to add a tenant/agent to receive the utility bill must complete and submit a Utility Bill Designate Mailing Request.
Find out more about the Commercial Bag-Only Annual Base Fee.
Solid Waste Billing & Collection Codes
Your utility bill will explain the solid waste management fees in detail using codes that correspond to the following:
- size of your solid waste bin
- how frequently your solid waste is collected
Find a description of the Solid Waste Billing & Collection Codes which may appear on your utility bill.
Monthly Billing Option
If you own a residential property, you can sign up for monthly utility billing.
Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program
New Program – If you have increased water consumption resulting from home dialysis treatments, you may qualify for the Home Dialysis Water Rebate Program.
Water Rebate Program
If you are a low-income senior or a low-income person living with a disability who consumes less than 400 cubic metres (m³) of water each year, you may be eligible for a water rebate.
Solid Waste Rebate Program
New for 2019 – If you are a low-income senior or a low-income person living with a disability and you have a small, medium or large size garbage bin, or you are a single family residential bag-only customer; you may qualify to receive a rebate on the solid waste portion of your utility bill.
Learn more about qualifying to receive a solid waste rebate.
Business Reply Envelope
A business reply envelope is included in your tax and utility bill mailing as a customer service convenience. If you do not require an envelope, contact a customer service representative to request not to receive a business reply envelope with your tax and/or utility bill.