Please note that due to COVID-19, the 3Rs Ambassador Program is not currently conducting in-person activities, including training. Online training is currently being offered and volunteers are encouraged to conduct online education and engagement activities for residents in their buildings. Those eligible for the Program are encouraged to submit a volunteer application and staff will follow up within 10 business days.
The 3Rs Ambassador Program engages volunteers in apartments, condos and co-ops to help promote the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle). Ambassadors can tailor programs to suit their building and other residents. The long-term goal is to have at least one 3Rs Ambassador in each apartment, condo and co-op building. Becoming a 3Rs Ambassador is a great way to:
- help the City increase waste diversion and reduce recycling contamination in multi-residential buildings
- help reduce environmental impacts
- reduce your building’s garbage costs
- get to know your neighbours
- meet people who are passionate about waste management
- earn volunteer hours (10 hours/month is recommended but not required)
For more information on the program, contact Program staff:
Who is Eligible?
- be 16 years of age or older (those 14 or 15 years old are eligible with their parent/guardian’s permission)
- live in an apartment, condo or co-op in Toronto that has nine units or more and receives waste collection service from the City of Toronto
What Do I Need to Do?
If you meet the eligibility criteria you need to:
- Get the support of your building manager and/or superintendent to participate in the Program and their agreement to assist as needed
- Complete an application form
- Complete an informal 10-15 minute phone interview
- Attend two two-hour (Part 1 and Part 2) training sessions
After completing the training, 3Rs Ambassadors can educate and engage building residents in various ways, such as:
- putting up posters in common areas (e.g. lobby, chute room, elevator, hallway, laundry room) or arranging for 3Rs information to be shown on lobby/elevator screens
- sharing information in building communications (e.g. newsletters, building group on social media)
- preparing waste information welcome packages and offering tours for new residents
- setting up a lobby display or information table
- setting up bins for the collection of items like batteries and electronics
- setting up and maintaining an area/shelf for items to be reused/shared/borrowed
- organizing events, e.g. waste reduction challenges, waste diversion activities/games, trivia nights, swaps
Note: Some activities may need to be approved by the building manager and/or superintendent. Due to COVID-19, in-person activities are not currently possible, but can be conducted online.
How Will the City Support Me?
The City will support 3Rs Ambassador Volunteers by providing:
- training on relevant waste management information, 3Rs opportunities in multi-residential buildings and effective communication
- free posters, guides, stickers, etc.
- regular communications on waste reduction, reuse and recycling
- opportunities to meet other 3Rs Ambassadors and share knowledge
- assistance with activity planning, questions or concerns
Upcoming Training Dates
Due to COVID-19, training for the 3Rs Ambassador Program is currently being conducted online.
Details about how to join the training will be provided to selected applicants. Two training sessions must be fully completed (Session A and Session B – any dates) before Ambassadors can start education and outreach activities.
Monday, August 23, 2-4pm
Monday, August 23, 7-9pm
Wednesday, August 25, 2-4pm
Wednesday, August 25, 7-9pm
Educational resources and posters that provide information on how to properly sort and dispose of waste, as well as ways to reduce waste, are available to download and print. Printed copies may also be requested.