Jarvis to Cherry Street – Construction & Traffic Updates
Information about specific construction activities, traffic updates and construction notices will be regularly updated on this page.
Full Closure Westbound Yonge-Bay-York Off-Ramp - July 15 - September 16, 2019
Westbound Yonge-Bay-York Off-Ramp Rehabilitation – Full Closure
Dates: 10 p.m. on July 15 to September 16, 2019
Location: Gardiner Expressway westbound Yonge-Bay-York off-ramp
Time: Mostly 24/7
- The Gardiner Expressway westbound Yonge-Bay-York off-ramp will be fully closed
- To safely complete some of this work, the westbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street that runs underneath the westbound Yonge-Bay-York off-ramp will be closed overnight from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m., August 1 to 8 and August 26 to 30 except on Friday and Saturday nights when it will be open.
- While the majority of the most disruptive work will be completed before 11 p.m., some disruptive work will be occasionally completed during night hours when nearby traffic is reduced as a safety precaution
- Advanced signage will be in place to advise motorists of the ramp closure
- With lane restrictions on the DVP in place for other construction during this work, please plan your travel in advance, be patient on the roads, consider alternate routes or take public transit
- During construction, consider using other westbound off-ramps such as Sherbourne Street or Spadina Avenue
- To access downtown, consider alternate routes such as exit the DVP onto Richmond Street, exit the Gardiner at Jarvis Street and enter from the east, exit the Gardiner at Spadina Avenue or travel on Lake Shore Boulevard westbound to access Yonge, Bay or York Streets
This closure will allow crews to make extensive repairs (also known as rehabilitation) to the westbound Yonge-Bay-York off-ramp as part of the Strategic Rehabilitation of the expressway from Jarvis Street to Cherry Street.
This work will:
- remove and replace the existing asphalt, joint assemblies, approach slabs, light posts, barrier walls, and curbs;
- install new deck drains and maintain existing drainage systems;
- patch concrete on the deck; and
- waterproof and pave the new deck.
F.G. Gardiner Expressway Rehabilitation, Jarvis Street to Cherry Street – Westbound Yonge-Bay-York Off-Ramp Rehabilitation
- Construction Notice (Dated: June 24, 2019)
Completed Construction Activities
Completed – Access Platform Installation
Dates: Sunday night to Thursday night, until June 13, 2019
Location: Westbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard East from Cherry Street to Jarvis Street
Time: Overnight rolling lane closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- This work will require intermittent 15-minute rolling lane closures hourly, overnight from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the westbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard.
- At least one westbound lane will always remain open to reduce the impact on traffic.
Work details: These closures will allow crews to install access platforms for forthcoming work on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway. Access platforms are necessary for crews to gain access to the underside of the Expressway to later complete necessary repairs to bearings and bearing seats.
Please note: Further lane closures will be required on Lake Shore Boulevard East between Cherry Street and Jarvis Street so crews can continue to install access platforms on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway and conduct other repairs. A series of lane closures is anticipated to continue until December and may take place during the day and/or overnight. The details, timing and impact of this work will be communicated in advance.
Construction Impact Notice for more details:
F.G. Gardiner Expressway Rehabilitation, Jarvis Street to Cherry Street – Access Platform Installation
- Construction Impact Notice (Dated: February 13, 2019)
Work zone map:
Below is an example of the access platforms that were previously installed on the Gardiner Expressway for work on the West Deck rehabilitation. The lane closures on Lake Shore Boulevard East will allow crews to install similar access platforms on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway from Jarvis Street to Cherry Street.