The City of Toronto offers complimentary consultations and guidance to residents and businesses to support the installation of solar PV systems on Toronto’s homes and buildings. See below for more details on the services offered.
Experienced City staff have managed the installation of more than 100 rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems installed on a variety of City-owned buildings, including community centres, work yards, libraries, EMS stations. The systems range in size from 3 kW to 500 kW.
TransformTO, Toronto’s climate action strategy identifies several key goals, including that 75 per cent of energy must come from renewable or low carbon sources by 2050.
Solar panels convert energy from the sun into electricity. This electricity then goes through an inverter, where it is converted into a usable form of energy for your building.
The system will be tied to Toronto Hydro’s electricity grid through its Net Metering Program, where the electricity generated by the solar panels is consumed by the building. Any excess electricity will be exported to the grid for a future credit.
- Reduce your utility bill & mitigate the impact of rising electricity costs
- Reduce your building’s GHG emissions and carbon footprint
- Increase the value of your building
- Toronto receives more than 2,000 hours of sunshine each year, the fuel is renewable and free
SolarTO offers the follow services, at no cost, for homes located in Toronto:
- Online visual check to determine solar opportunity
- Conceptual layout/system sizing and budgetary estimates
- General questions/ongoing support
For more information about installing solar PV on your home, check out BetterHomesTO.
The City of Toronto offers low-interest loans through the Home Energy Loan Program to help homeowners install solar PV and other home energy improvements efficiency.
SolarTO offers the follow services, at no cost, for commercial buildings and properties located in Toronto:
Solar PV (rooftop)
- Online visual check to determine opportunity.
- Zoning verification and conceptual layout/system sizing and budgetary estimates.
- Assistance with completing the preliminary Toronto Hydro Distributed Energy Resource (DER) application.
Solar Carport (Parking Lot)
- Online visual check to determine opportunity
- Zoning verification and conceptual layout/system sizing and budgetary estimates
- Assistance with Toronto Hydro DER application, assistance with geotechnical analysis and EASR/REA guidance.
- Options and high level consultation (cost and capacity), briefing on Class A.
- Conceptual size and output, budget estimates.
- Assistance with Toronto Hydro DER application. Guidance on completing a feasibility report with a third party.
If your building is located within Toronto (postal code starting with M), and you are looking for financing options, the City offers Energy Retrofit Loans to help building owners improve their energy efficiency.