Property Standards Bylaw sets the standards for all properties in Toronto. All property owners are required to repair and maintain their property including owners of properties that are rented out.

If you have concerns about your rental unit, speak to your landlord or property manager and submit a service request. If this issue is not resolved in a timely manner, contact 311.

Air Conditioning

Chapter 629, Section 38: If a building has air conditioning provided by the landlord, the bylaw requires that landlords turn it on between June 2 and September 14. But, if it is hot outside, landlords can turn it on earlier as long as the building does not go below 21 Celsius. The bylaw also requires building owners to ensure that all supplied facilities (including air conditioning) are constructed, installed, and maintained to function safely and effectively. All air conditioners and other water-cooled equipment must be equipped with proper devices for the prevention of condensation drainage or discharge onto sidewalks, walkways, driveways and entrance areas or other areas used for pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

Washroom/Water Facilities

Chapter 629, Section 37: Every rental unit must have at least one toilet, one wash basin, one kitchen sink and one bathtub or shower.

Doors, Passageways and Exits Maintenance

Chapter 629, Section 28: Doors, passageways and exits must be free from hazardous conditions and obstructions.

Hot Water

Chapter 629, Section 37: There must be an adequate supply of hot water with a temperature ranging from 45 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius.


Chapter 629, Section 9: All properties have to be kept free of pests, including rodents and insects.

Property Cleanliness

Chapter 629, Section 10 B: All parts of a property, including the yard must be kept clean and free from accumulations of litter, brush or garbage, and any conditions that are health or fire hazards.

Room Size Minimums

Chapter 629, Section 25: Each room must have at least nine square metres of floor area for each person.  Minimum height is 1.95 metres over at least half of the floor area.

Snow Clearing

Chapter 629, Section 23: Steps, landings, walks, driveways, parking spaces and ramps have to be cleared of snow and ice within 24 hours of a snowfall to provide safe access for people and vehicles.


Chapter 629, Section 39: There has to be adequate ventilation in all areas of a building.  Every ventilation system or unit must be regularly cleaned, kept in good repair and maintained in good working condition.

Stairs and Handrails

Chapter 629, Section 19A: All stairs, verandas, porches, decks, loading docks, ramps, balconies, fire escapes and other similar structures and all treads, risers, guards, handrails, and supports have to be kept in a safe, clean, sanitary condition and in good repair.

RentSafeTO: Apartment Building Standards is a bylaw enforcement program that ensures apartment building owners comply with building maintenance standards.

The program applies to apartment buildings with three or more storeys and 10 or more units. Condo buildings, townhomes, or units in a private home (basement or main floor apartment) are not part of the RentSafeTO program.


If you are a tenant in a RentSafeTO building, learn more about RentSafeTO for tenants.


Owners of rental apartment buildings are required to register and comply with the RentSafeTO program. Learn how to register or renew your property with RentSafeTO.

Multi-tenant houses are commonly known as rooming houses. If you are renting a room in a multi-tenant house and experiencing a problem, such as pests, low or no heat, plumbing problems, leaky ceilings, please talk to your landlord first and submit a service request to your landlord. If you get no action from your landlord and problems persist, contact 311 to have the City investigate.

Learn how to make a service request to your landlords or submit a complaint to the City for multi-tenant houses.

If the condo unit is owner-occupied, the City will not investigate a complaint about the condition of that unit. If you are renting an apartment in a condo building and are experiencing a problem, please talk to your landlord first. If the problem is not addressed, you can contact 311 to have the City investigate.

When it comes to co-operative housing, the co-op board and its members are responsible for ensuring that the units are maintained according to the Property Standards bylaw. The City will investigate complaints only about the common areas of a co-op housing.

A co-op building is not considered to be a residential rental accommodation due to the fact that co-op members are deemed to be owners. The Co-operative Housing Federation of Toronto provides more information regarding co-op housing and how members are not considered tenants.