Building owners/operators are responsible for providing heat to a minimum temperature of 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1. If the outdoor weather consistently raises the temperature of apartment units above 21 degrees Celsius, please use your judgement and turn the heat off.

RentSafeTO works to ensure that owners and operators of apartment buildings meet building maintenance standards by evaluating buildings for cleanliness, state of good repair and bylaw compliance. Use this interactive map to look up the evaluation results of buildings across Toronto.


RentSafeTO: Apartment Building Standards is a bylaw enforcement program ensuring that building owners and operators comply with building maintenance standards. As part of the program, bylaw enforcement officers conduct building evaluations, audits and investigate complaints submitted to 311, so that Toronto residents living in rental buildings have clean, safe and secure homes.

The RentSafeTO Building Owner Handbook for an overview of the bylaw and summary of key regulations. The handbook was last updated on May 2023.

Register for RentSafeTO

Register and renew your building with RentSafeTO.

Building Owner Requirements

Comply with City bylaws

Evaluations & Audits

Check evaluation scores for your apartment building and learn more about the investigation and audit process.

Get to Know Your Building Score

Find out how buildings are evaluated

Service Requests & Response Times

Manage and resolve tenant complaints.

Resources, Templates & Forms

Download multilingual resources, templates and forms.

Fees & Fines

Registration, renewal and building audit fees and fines for bylaw violations.

Evaluation Tool

Learn about the changes to the evaluation tool