News & Construction
Winter Construction Update
As construction continues towards the final work stage in 2020 several traffic restrictions will be lifted by December 19th (weather permitting) to improve travel flow:
- Kipling Avenue will have two lanes in each direction. West side sidewalk will remain closed from Dundas Street West to Bloor Street West.
- Bloor Street West from Prennan Avenue to Dunbloor Road will have two lanes in each direction.The north sidewalk will remain closed. All four crosswalks will be open to pedestrians at the Bloor Street West and Kipling Avenue intersection.
- Dundas-Kipling ramp will have one lane of traffic open in the westbound direction, and the sidewalk open to pedestrian access.
- Dundas Street West will have three lanes in each direction. Sidewalks remain on the south side of the street. The north sidewalk will remain closed between Beamish Drive and Dunbloor Road.
Please note the following restrictions remain in effect:
- Roads A, B, and C remain closed
- Bike lanes remain closed throughout the project area
- Bloor Street West remains closed to pedestrians between Kipling Avenue and Dunbloor Road.
Pedestrians are required to cross Kipling Avenue using Dundas Street West or the Dundas-Kipling ramp as detours. Alternative routes described below will be cleared of snow and MUST be used for pedestrian safety. Signage will be in place to help navigate.
Traffic signals at the Dunbloor Road and Dundas Street West intersection will be operational in early 2020.
Pedestrians wishing to cross:
- Bloor Street West between Kipling Avenue and Dunbloor Road, coming from north of Bloor Street West: Travel on Dundas-Kipling ramp, cross at Bloor Street West and Kipling Avenue intersection.
- Bloor Street West between Kipling Avenue and Dunbloor Road, coming from south of Bloor Street West
- west of Kipling Avenue: Travel east on Bloor Street West, south on Kipling Avenue, and east on Dundas Street West OR; Travel east on Bloor Street West, north on Kipling Avenue, east on the Dundas-Kipling ramp, and south on Dunbloor Road.
- east of Kipling Avenue: Travel west on Bloor Street West, south/west on Dundas Street West, north on Kipling Avenue, and west on Bloor Street West OR;Travel north on Dunbloor Road, west on the Dundas-Kipling ramp, south on Kipling Avenue, and cross at the Bloor Street West and Kipling Avenue intersection.
There are no updates at this time.
- You may experience dust, noise and other inconveniences. The City will make efforts to reduce the impacts. We appreciate your patience.
- Property owners should remove items located within City property limits (boulevard), such as landscaping and / or decorative objects. If you have a sprinkler system within the boulevard, please contact the Project Manager.
- The City will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items on City property.
Work will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday, with work after hours and on weekends as required.
Road & Sidewalk Access
In order to complete the work in a safe manner, there will be road and sidewalk restrictions within the construction work zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
The contractor will notify you of any temporary restrictions to your driveway access. If your property has two entrances, one entrance will be kept open at all times.
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets. Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should continue to obey all posted traffic signage. *Please note that timelines are subject to weather and working conditions and may change.
Parking in the active work zone is not permitted due to space requirements for construction equipment and materials. If your parked vehicle affects the construction work, it will be re-located with no charge to the owner. If your vehicle is moved, please contact parking control for its location at 416-808-2222.
Garbage & Recycling
Please follow your normal routine. If required, the contractor will move bins to an appropriate location and return them. Please ensure that you label your bins with your address.
The construction work area will be restored with sod and/or asphalt where required in future stages of the work. Updates will be provided.
Phase 2: March 2017 – Spring 2020
Generally, construction includes:
- removing the existing structures, roads, and facilities, as required
- installing underground infrastructure (watermain, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, and utilities)
- streetscaping (including landscaping, street lighting, and furniture)
- road surfacing, intersection improvements, and curb installation
Demolition and reconstruction will take place in the following stages across the area:
Stage 1: Spring 2017 – Winter 2018
- Construct new Dundas Street alignment between Kipling and Bloor.
- Construct Road A and Road B.
- Construct an underground Hydro duct bank on Dundas Street West from Aukland Road to Jopling Avenue.
- Closure of Dundas/Bloor intersection to remove asphalt and place temporary ramps to Bloor.
- Construction along Dundas Street, Road A, and Road B.
- Start work on the bus ramp (Kipling to Street A) and opening temporary connections (Dundas, Road A, Road B).
- Reconstruct Bloor Street westbound lanes from Dunbloor Road to the projects eastern limit.
- Construct the east-side of Kipling and bus ramp, south of Bloor.
- Construct the Bloor Street westbound lanes
- Construct the Kipling/Dundas intersection
Stage 2: Spring 2018 – Summer 2019
- Reconstruct the Bloor Street West eastbound lanes.
- Reconstruct Dunbloor Road.
- Construct the remainder of Dundas Street West south side and the Kipling/Dundas intersection.
- Construct new Viking Lane.
- Bloor Street realignment from Dundas to Kipling.
- Construct Road C.
- Reconstruct the existing Dundas Street East and Kipling/Dundas ramp.
- Construct Dundas Street West from Jopling to Kipling.
Stage 3: Summer 2019 – Spring 2020
- Widen Kipling Avenue northbound lanes.
- Remove the existing Dundas/Bloor bridge structures over Kipling.
- Widen and reconstruct Kipling Avenue southbound lanes.
- Construct Bloor Street West from Kipling to Prennan Avenue.