News & Construction
Map of Active and Closed Roadways (Scroll down to accordion menu for alternate route suggestions.)
Construction Update 7 – September 21, 2018
Start Date: September 28, 2018
Expected End Date: December, 2018
Reconstructing Kipling Avenue to/from Viking Lane / Albans Ramp W: Work includes grading, streetscaping (landscaping, street lighting and underground cables), roads and curbs.
Travel Restrictions include:
- Full closure of southbound Kipling Avenue to Viking Lane/Albans Ramp W traffic
- Full closure of Viking Lane/Albans Ramp W to Kipling Avenue southbound traffic as construction progresses
- Pedestrian access to be maintained on the east side of Kipling Avenue
Construction described in previous notification continues in the following locations:
- Constructing the new Dundas Street West alignment and Roads A & B
- Regrading Kipling Avenue. One lane of traffic in each direction is maintained.
- Reconstruction of Bloor Street – south side. One lane of traffic in each direction maintained.
- Widening and reconstruction of Dunbloor Road. Full Closure to vehicles, local access only October 1 – December, 2018.
- Viking Lane Ramps – The southbound Kipling/Viking Lane-Albans Ramp W closed on September 28 and the Viking Lane-Albans Ramp W/Kipling southbound ramp closed on October 12. The ramps will reopen in future construction stages.
- Kipling Avenue Traffic Lanes – Saturday, September 22, 2018. The current two active northbound / southbound traffic lanes will shift from the west side of Kipling Avenue to the east side. Sidewalks will be open to pedestrians along the east side of Kipling Avenue for north/south travel.
- You may experience dust, noise and other inconveniences. The City will make efforts to reduce the impacts. We appreciate your patience.
- Property owners should remove items located within City property limits (boulevard), such as landscaping and / or decorative objects. If you have a sprinkler system within the boulevard, please contact the Project Manager.
- The City will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items on City property.
Work will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday, with work after hours and on weekends as required.
Road & Sidewalk Access
In order to complete the work in a safe manner, there will be road and sidewalk restrictions within the construction work zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
The contractor will notify you of any temporary restrictions to your driveway access. If your property has two entrances, one entrance will be kept open at all times.
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets. Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should continue to obey all posted traffic signage. *Please note that timelines are subject to weather and working conditions and may change.
Parking in the active work zone is not permitted due to space requirements for construction equipment and materials. If your parked vehicle affects the construction work, it will be re-located with no charge to the owner. If your vehicle is moved, please contact parking control for its location at 416-808-2222.
Garbage & Recycling
Please follow your normal routine. If required, the contractor will move bins to an appropriate location and return them. Please ensure that you label your bins with your address.
The construction work area will be restored with sod and/or asphalt where required in future stages of the work. Updates will be provided.
Phase 2: March 2017 – Spring 2020
Generally, construction includes:
- removing the existing structures, roads, and facilities, as required
- installing underground infrastructure (watermain, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, and utilities)
- streetscaping (including landscaping, street lighting, and furniture)
- road surfacing, intersection improvements, and curb installation
Demolition and reconstruction will take place in the following stages across the area:
Stage 1: Spring 2017 – Winter 2018
- Construct new Dundas Street alignment between Kipling and Bloor.
- Construct Road A and Road B.
- Construct an underground Hydro duct bank on Dundas Street West from Aukland Road to Jopling Avenue.
- Closure of Dundas/Bloor intersection to remove asphalt and place temporary ramps to Bloor.
- Construction along Dundas Street, Road A, and Road B.
- Start work on the bus ramp (Kipling to Street A) and opening temporary connections (Dundas, Road A, Road B).
- Reconstruct Bloor Street westbound lanes from Dunbloor Road to the projects eastern limit.
- Construct the east-side of Kipling and bus ramp, south of Bloor.
- Construct the Bloor Street westbound lanes
- Construct the Kipling/Dundas intersection
Stage 2: Spring 2018 – Summer 2019
- Reconstruct the Bloor Street West eastbound lanes.
- Reconstruct Dunbloor Road.
- Construct the remainder of Dundas Street West south side and the Kipling/Dundas intersection.
- Construct new Viking Lane.
- Bloor Street realignment from Dundas to Kipling.
- Construct Road C.
- Reconstruct the existing Dundas Street East and Kipling/Dundas ramp.
- Construct Dundas Street West from Jopling to Kipling.
Stage 3: Summer 2019 – Spring 2020
- Widen Kipling Avenue northbound lanes.
- Remove the existing Dundas/Bloor bridge structures over Kipling.
- Widen and reconstruct Kipling Avenue southbound lanes.
- Construct Bloor Street West from Kipling to Prennan Avenue.