News & Construction
Construction Update 8 – February 13, 2019
Start Date: February 24, 2019 | End Date: Summer 2019
All traffic currently using the Bloor/Dundas/Kipling Interchange ramps will be directed to the newly constructed Dundas Street West effective February 24, 2019. Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists please be aware and obey the new traffic movements, signs and signals. The travel route suggestions below provide information about open and closed areas.
Pedestrians – Map of open sidewalks
- A temporary paved sidewalk will be open on the north side of Dundas Street to Six Points Plaza and Beamish Drive.
- Temporary pedestrian access will be maintained on the south side of Dundas Street.
- Pedestrian access will remain on the north side of Bloor Street, east of Resurrection Road.
Kipling Avenue / Bloor Street West
Motorists travelling east on Bloor Street West, west of Kipling Avenue can:
- Travel north or south on Kipling Avenue
Motorists travelling north and south on Kipling Avenue can:
- Travel west on Bloor Street West
- The ramps from Kipling northbound to Dundas West will be closed.
Kipling Avenue / Dundas Street West
Motorists travelling north on Kipling Avenue can:
- Travel east or west by turning onto the new Dundas Street West
Motorists travelling south on Kipling Avenue can:
- Travel east or west by turning onto the new Dundas Street West, or travel west by turning at Bloor Street West
Motorists travelling east or west on the new Dundas Street West can:
- Travel north or south by turning onto Kipling Avenue
- Signalized intersection at Dundas Street and Kipling Avenue.
- Kipling Avenue West bus ramp from Viking/St. Albans to southbound Kipling Avenue and southbound Kipling to Viking/St. Albans will be opened.
- Motorists can access Beamish Drive via Bloor Street West but NOT Dundas Street West.
- Access from St. Albans and Dundas Street to Roads A and B will be closed.
Dundas Street West at Dunbloor
Motorists travelling on new/existing Dundas Street West can:
- Travel east on Dundas Street West via Dunbloor Road
- Travel east on Bloor Street West
- Travel south on Dunbloor Road to Bloor Street AND continue south on the new Dundas Street West to access Kipling Avenue
- Access northbound Kipling via the Dundas-Kipling ramp
Motorists travelling on Dunbloor Road can:
- Travel east or southwest on Dundas Street West
- Travel east on Bloor Street West
Motorists travelling on Bloor Street West can:
- Travel north on Dunbloor Road and continue east on Dundas Street West
- Travel south on Dundas Street West and re-join Bloor Street West via Aukland Road
- The Dundas and Bloor Street bridges over Kipling Avenue
- The northbound Kipling Avenue to Dundas Street ramps
- Dunbloor Road will have one lane of traffic open in each direction.
- Separated bike lanes remain closed until all streetscape improvements are
Kipling Avenue between Bloor Street and Dundas Street West will temporarily re-open to two lanes of vehicle traffic in each direction starting the last week of January 2019 for a period of 4-8 weeks. When future construction work starts in other areas of the Six Points Reconfiguration, one-lane of traffic will remain active in each direction on Kipling Avenue.
- You may experience dust, noise and other inconveniences. The City will make efforts to reduce the impacts. We appreciate your patience.
- Property owners should remove items located within City property limits (boulevard), such as landscaping and / or decorative objects. If you have a sprinkler system within the boulevard, please contact the Project Manager.
- The City will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items on City property.
Work will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday, with work after hours and on weekends as required.
Road & Sidewalk Access
In order to complete the work in a safe manner, there will be road and sidewalk restrictions within the construction work zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
The contractor will notify you of any temporary restrictions to your driveway access. If your property has two entrances, one entrance will be kept open at all times.
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets. Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should continue to obey all posted traffic signage. *Please note that timelines are subject to weather and working conditions and may change.
Parking in the active work zone is not permitted due to space requirements for construction equipment and materials. If your parked vehicle affects the construction work, it will be re-located with no charge to the owner. If your vehicle is moved, please contact parking control for its location at 416-808-2222.
Garbage & Recycling
Please follow your normal routine. If required, the contractor will move bins to an appropriate location and return them. Please ensure that you label your bins with your address.
The construction work area will be restored with sod and/or asphalt where required in future stages of the work. Updates will be provided.
Phase 2: March 2017 – Spring 2020
Generally, construction includes:
- removing the existing structures, roads, and facilities, as required
- installing underground infrastructure (watermain, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, and utilities)
- streetscaping (including landscaping, street lighting, and furniture)
- road surfacing, intersection improvements, and curb installation
Demolition and reconstruction will take place in the following stages across the area:
Stage 1: Spring 2017 – Winter 2018
- Construct new Dundas Street alignment between Kipling and Bloor.
- Construct Road A and Road B.
- Construct an underground Hydro duct bank on Dundas Street West from Aukland Road to Jopling Avenue.
- Closure of Dundas/Bloor intersection to remove asphalt and place temporary ramps to Bloor.
- Construction along Dundas Street, Road A, and Road B.
- Start work on the bus ramp (Kipling to Street A) and opening temporary connections (Dundas, Road A, Road B).
- Reconstruct Bloor Street westbound lanes from Dunbloor Road to the projects eastern limit.
- Construct the east-side of Kipling and bus ramp, south of Bloor.
- Construct the Bloor Street westbound lanes
- Construct the Kipling/Dundas intersection
Stage 2: Spring 2018 – Summer 2019
- Reconstruct the Bloor Street West eastbound lanes.
- Reconstruct Dunbloor Road.
- Construct the remainder of Dundas Street West south side and the Kipling/Dundas intersection.
- Construct new Viking Lane.
- Bloor Street realignment from Dundas to Kipling.
- Construct Road C.
- Reconstruct the existing Dundas Street East and Kipling/Dundas ramp.
- Construct Dundas Street West from Jopling to Kipling.
Stage 3: Summer 2019 – Spring 2020
- Widen Kipling Avenue northbound lanes.
- Remove the existing Dundas/Bloor bridge structures over Kipling.
- Widen and reconstruct Kipling Avenue southbound lanes.
- Construct Bloor Street West from Kipling to Prennan Avenue.