News & Construction
- Ongoing roadwork along Bloor Street West
- Start date: March, 2017
- End date: June 2018
Work is taking place southeast of Bloor Street and Kipling Avenue (former Westwood Theatre lands), and locations along Bloor Street West, Kipling Avenue, Dundas Street West, and some ramps
- Ongoing: Southeast of Bloor Street and Kipling Avenue (former Westwood Theatre Lands).
- Construction of new Dundas Street West. Installation of new watermains, storm water sewers, sanitary sewers, streetscaping (landscaping, street lighting and underground utilities), roads and curbs.
- December – June: Bloor Street West, south side.
- Installation of temporary asphalt, and new watermains, storm water sewers, sanitary sewers, and streetscaping (including landscaping, street lighting and underground utilities)
- One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained along Bloor Street from the west side of Dunbloor Road to the east project limit (CP Rail Line)
- Week of January 8 – June:
- Kipling Avenue (at the St. Albans Ramp).
- Installation of utilities crossing Kipling for new watermains, and storm water sewers.
- One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained along Kipling Avenue at all times.
- Traffic will flip to the east side of Kipling prior to Spring 2018.
- Kipling access to St. Albans Rd. will be maintained.
- St. Albans Bloor St. E.
- Ramps will permanently close
- Due to ramp closures there will be no access from:
- Kipling to Bloor Street ramp (eastbound)
- St. Albans Rd to Kipling Ave ramp (northbound)
- Reduced access to east TTC Parking Lot at Kipling Station
- Reconstruction of St. Albans ramp including entrance/exit at TTC parking lot and passenger pick-up area.
- Access maintained to TTC passenger pick-up and drop-off by a temporary entry/exit.
Some parking spaces in this TTC parking lot will be restricted.
- Kipling Avenue (at the St. Albans Ramp).
- February – April. Dundas Street West (between Jopling Avenue and Aukland Road)
- Installation of underground Hydro utility cables in the roadway and restore the road when complete.
- A minimum of two lanes of traffic in both directions will be maintained on Dundas Street.
- Access for left turning lane onto Aukland Road will be maintained.
View a PDF of Construction Update 3, including maps of all work zones.
The map below shows the preferred alternate route to access Bloor Street eastbound from Kipling Avenue due to the ramp closure.
- You may experience dust, noise and other inconveniences. The City will make efforts to reduce the impacts. We appreciate your patience.
- Property owners should remove items located within City property limits (boulevard), such as landscaping and / or decorative objects. If you have a sprinkler system within the boulevard, please contact the Project Manager.
- The City will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items on City property.
Work will take place from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, with work after hours and on weekends as required.
Road and Sidewalk Access
In order to complete the work in a safe manner, there will be road and sidewalk restrictions within the construction work zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
The contractor will notify you of any temporary restrictions to your driveway access. If your property has two entrances, one entrance will be kept open at all times.
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets. Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. Road users should continue to obey all posted traffic signage. *Please note that timelines are subject to weather and working conditions and may change.
Parking in the active work zone is not permitted due to space requirements for construction equipment and materials. If your parked vehicle affects the construction work, it will be re-located with no charge to the owner. If your vehicle is moved, please contact parking control for its location at 416-808-2222.
Garbage & Recycling
Please follow your normal routine. If required, the contractor will move bins to an appropriate location and return them. Please ensure that you label your bins with your address.
The construction work area will be restored with sod and/or asphalt where required in future stages of the work. Updates will be provided.
Phase 2: March 2017 – Spring 2020
Generally, construction includes:
- removing the existing structures, roads, and facilities, as required
- installing underground infrastructure (watermain, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, and utilities)
- streetscaping (including landscaping, street lighting, and furniture)
- road surfacing, intersection improvements, and curb installation
Demolition and reconstruction will take place in the following stages across the area:
Stage 1: Spring 2017 – Winter 2018
- Construct new Dundas Street alignment between Kipling and Bloor.
- Construct Road A and Road B.
- Construct an underground Hydro duct bank on Dundas Street West from Aukland Road to Jopling Avenue.
- Closure of Dundas/Bloor intersection to remove asphalt and place temporary ramps to Bloor.
- Construction along Dundas Street, Road A, and Road B.
- Start work on the bus ramp (Kipling to Street A) and opening temporary connections (Dundas, Road A, Road B).
- Reconstruct Bloor Street westbound lanes from Dunbloor Road to the projects eastern limit.
- Construct the east-side of Kipling and bus ramp, south of Bloor.
- Construct the Bloor Street westbound lanes
- Construct the Kipling/Dundas intersection
Stage 2: Spring 2018 – Summer 2019
- Reconstruct the Bloor Street West eastbound lanes.
- Reconstruct Dunbloor Road.
- Construct the remainder of Dundas Street West south side and the Kipling/Dundas intersection.
- Construct new Viking Lane.
- Bloor Street realignment from Dundas to Kipling.
- Construct Road C.
- Reconstruct the existing Dundas Street East and Kipling/Dundas ramp.
- Construct Dundas Street West from Jopling to Kipling.
Stage 3: Summer 2019 – Spring 2020
- Widen Kipling Avenue northbound lanes.
- Remove the existing Dundas/Bloor bridge structures over Kipling.
- Widen and reconstruct Kipling Avenue southbound lanes.
- Construct Bloor Street West from Kipling to Prennan Avenue.
To request assistance reading any files on this page, contact:
Nathan Jenkins, Field Ambassador