Kipling Acres provides individualized care to each of its 337 residents within a safe and friendly environment. Guided by the CARE values – Compassion | Accountability | Respect | Excellence, we are committed to improving quality of life and support for healthy aging.
Kipling Acres is one of 10 City-operated long-term care homes and has been completely redeveloped to meet new design standards.
An important part of its northern Etobicoke community, Kipling Acres is situated on 10 acres of beautiful property and features:
- a long tradition of providing quality care in a home-like environment
- culturally diverse residents and staff
- semi-private and private accommodations
- each home area has a dining room, communication centre (nurses’ station), recreation room, conference room, living room, TV lounge, shower room and spa
- guest suite for palliative care
- Gathering Place and Worship Centre
- Green roof, Gift Shop, Library, Salon, Rehabilitation Room and private dining room
- Outdoor courtyard, balconies and inter-generational garden
- community hub is home to the Adult Day Program, Kipling Early Learning & Child Care Centre and West Acres Senior Centre, which offers wellness and recreation programs for local community seniors.
Kipling Acres offers the following specialized services:
- Behavioural Support Programs
- Short-stay respite
- Young Adult Care and Programs
- Convalescent Care
Behavioural Support Programs
As recognized leaders in behavioural support programs, we have a long history of demonstrated knowledge of dementia, delirium and mental health in the delivery of care.
Staff and medical professionals are knowledgeable in the most prevalent types and related causes of behavioural issues, understand disease processes, stages and progression, diagnostic and assessment process, cognitive or neurological symptoms, treatment interventions, appropriate communication to address resident needs, strategies to promote optimal quality of life and experience of the behaviour(s) from the perspective of the resident, family members and other partners in care.
The short-stay admission program supports families seeking respite from the caregiver role for a period of up to 60 continuous days to a maximum of 90 days per year.
Kipling Acres has 17 convalescent care beds, which are a short-term, physical rehabilitation program to help individuals return to independent living. Services include:
- Specialized medical and rehabilitation therapeutic support
- An individual care plan to help you regain your strength and independence
- Guidance for your family and caregivers to best support you when you return home.
Our inter-professional care team includes doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, rehabilitation assistants, dietitians, social workers and members of the spiritual and religious care community. They will work with you to make sure you get the services you need, when you need them. Quality health and person-centred care will be provided in your room to allow for privacy, rest and comfort. Your care needs will determine your length of stay. The annual, maximum stay time is 90 days.
Adult Day Program
The on-site Adult Day Program provides an opportunity to take part in a variety of health promotion programs, and to develop new friendships and interests. Seniors enjoy a variety of recreational and therapeutic activities, along with lunch and snacks. This program provides much-needed respite for many family members and other caregivers who are coping with the stress of caring for people with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive or physical disabilities. Hours of operation are 7:30 am – 5:00 pm.
Families are an integral part in helping make the best decisions for their family member. We offer many opportunities for families to be involved:
- Resident care conferences
- Family Council
- Satisfaction surveys
- Volunteer services.
- To complement the staff team, a large volunteer team is a treasured part of the Kipling Acres family. Volunteers provide a special brand of caring that keeps residents connected with the community
- An on-site child care centre offers residents a chance to share experiences with young children who live in the surrounding neighbourhood
- Alliances with the local community and cultural groups help us provide culturally appropriate care and services.
Take a Virtual Tour
If interested in a guided personal tour, please call 416-392-2300