If you are behind on your rent or need help defending yourself against an eviction, you can get access to financial support.

There are various types of financial support programs including, interest free loans, money for emergency housing, help paying bills, legal aid, and the Tenant Defense Fund that helps tenants maintain affordable rental housing.

These support programs provide one-time financial support for people in need. However, if housing affordability is an ongoing concern for you, consider applying for income support through Ontario Works.

Find out which of the financial support for renters options would be best for you by reviewing the list below.

The Toronto Rent Bank, a partnership between the City of Toronto and Neighbourhood Information Post, provides grants to eligible Toronto residents who are behind on their rent or need help with a rental deposit. By providing these grants, the Toronto Rent Bank ensures that people at risk have the support they need to stay in their homes and prevent homelessness.

Money for Emergency Housing Needs: Ontario Works or ODSP

The Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF) provides money for emergency housing needs to people receiving financial assistance through Ontario Works or income support through the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) in the city of Toronto. HSF is intended to prevent homelessness and help obtain and retain housing.

Learn more about the Housing Stabilization Fund.

Rent Reduction for Tenants in Buildings with Reduced Property Taxes

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) allows residential tenants to reduce their rents when the rental buildings in which they live have had a property tax decrease between two consecutive years. Municipalities are required to send notices about the tax decrease and rent reduction to landlords of affected buildings by September 15 and to tenants by December 15.

Under the RTA, notices must be sent if the tax decrease is more than 2.49 per cent, and there are more than six rental residential units in a building (i.e., multi-residential rental properties). In 2001, Council adopted a policy that notices must also be sent to buildings with six or fewer units (i.e., residential rental properties), to ensure that tenants in smaller rental buildings have the same opportunity as tenants in multi-unit buildings to automatically reduce their rents.

For more information, see rent reduction information under Property tax.

As of April 1, 2022, the Tenant Defence Fund was replaced by the Toronto Tenant Support Program (TTSP). Under the new program, tenant groups can directly access legal services to address eviction and affordability matters, such as above guideline rent increase notices, support in completing maintenance applications to the Landlord and Tenant Board, N12 notices and N13 notices.

The Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR)  will provide legal services to tenants, tenant groups and/or tenant associations in private market rental housing.

If you are interested in receiving more information about the legal services provided by CCHR, please use CCHR’s website contact link or call at 416-944-0087 (Toll Free: 1-800-263-1139).

Energy-Related Emergency Help for Low-Income Residents

Low-income Toronto residents may qualify for help from the City of Toronto with energy-related emergencies to reconnect, prevent disconnection or to assist in the payment of energy arrears for hydro, gas or oil services.

Learn more about the fund and how to apply.

High utility bills may put low income homeowners and tenants at risk. The programs listed below may be able to provide financial help. For more details on eligibility and applying contact the program directly.

Need Extra Support?

To get support with finding and keeping affordable housing, you can also contact a Housing Help Centre.