If you are planning to temporarily occupy any portion of the public right of way during a demolition, renovation and/or construction project, you will need a Street Occupation Permit.
Construction Staging applications are encouraged to be submitted by March 28, 2022, in order to be reviewed this year. Please note this deadline does not guarantee the application will be reviewed by Council in 2022 due to the high volume of requests.

Please Note: For all new Construction Staging Area requests, and requests to extend existing staging permits, the developer is required to review the City website map.toronto.ca/toinview/ for any possible conflicting Capital Work. For any location showing “Metrolinx Corridor Development Permit” and/or Metrolinx related “Permit Review Zone”, it is the responsibility of the developer to engage with Metrolinx at MCReviews@metrolinx.com to obtain the necessary permit, and provide the information to the City as part of the application.

Prior to starting a demolition, renovation and/or construction project you will require a Street Occupation Permit if you plan to temporarily occupy the area beyond your property line (the boulevard, sidewalk, roadway or public lane) with any of the following equipment or material:

  • Disposal bin in roadway or public laneway
  • Disposal bin and drop chutes
  • Storage of materials and equipment
  • Moving containers
  • Walk-through/staging scaffold, plywood hoarding or covered-walkway
  • Operation of cherry picker, backhoe, fork lift, scissor lift, zoom boom etc.
  • Hoisting with mobile crane or boom truck
  • Hoisting by means of a tower crane/helicopter
  • Swinging of boom and counterweight of tower crane including flying of forms
  • Roof hoist
  • Pumping of concrete and concrete mixer
  • Storage of trailer
  • De-watering hose across sidewalk
  • Chemical cleaning or sand blasting
  • Swing stages
  • Rope, tackle and/or ladders
  • Temporary asphalt access ramp into construction site

If your project requires an application, four copies of the site plans must be submitted for review. The plans must meet the specifications outlined below:

  • Drawings must be folded in sets to dimensions of 21cm x 28 cm (8 1/2″ x 11″) with the title block facing up
  • All plans (in metric) must be drawn to scale, and the scale must be noted on the plan
  • All relevant dimensions (i.e. width of sidewalk, back of sidewalk to street/property lines and to building wall etc.) must be shown
  • Tie in measurements to all above grade installations
  • All street names and municipal addresses must be noted
  • All physical details of the site must be shown i.e. sidewalk, trees, utility/hydro poles, fire hydrants, parking meters. street vendor locations and all street furniture, including bus shelters and publication boxes etc.)
  • North arrow must be shown
  • The location of street/property lines must be noted
  • Your proposal must be clearly indicated

For street, sidewalk and/or public lane closures, a detailed letter outlining how the public right of way is to be used, including the duration of the closure, together with a proposed work schedule, must be submitted with your application.

Street occupation permit fees are based on the type of permit required and the duration of the work. Permits must be obtained in person and must be paid for when they are issued. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding the fees which must accompany your application.

You can pay the permit fee by cash or cheque or money order payable to the Treasurer, City of Toronto. We also accept Debit, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

All fees are subject to an annual inflationary increase based on the City’s User Fee Policy and change without prior notice.


Description Details Application Fee Permit Fees Additional Fees
  • Backhoe
  • Broadcast Unit
  • City Contract
  • Concrete Truck
  • Dewatering Pipe
  • Disposal Bin
  • Fork Lift, Mobile Lift
  • Moving Container
  • Overhead Equipment
  • Photography (Still)
  • Pumping Flours
  • Search Lights, Site Trailer
  • Storage of Materials
$55.15 per day or part thereof + HST
  • Tower Crane
  • Swing of Boom
  • Hoisting
$55.15 per day + HST plus lineal & daily enclosure fee For each additional lane closure $133.46 + HST

For full lane closure $667.32 + HST

Please call 416- 392-6593 for further details

Site Protection
  • Covered Walkway
  • Hoarding
  • Hoarding with covered
  • walkway
  • Hoarding with
  • scaffolding
  • Scaffolding
  • Street Closure
$610.71 + HST $20.65 per lineal metre for the lifetime of the project
(+ HST on total lineal metre )
Site Protection Temporary occupation portion of sidewalk or boulevard $6.8870 per m2 per month for the enclosed portion of the boulevard/sidewalk
(+ HST on total m2)
Site Protection Temporary occupation portion of street (roadway) Area-based Fee per m2 per month (+ HST on total m2)

Area AA:   $152.55

Area A:    $121.74

Area B:    $91.29

Area C:    $80.80

Area D:    $60.87

All Other Areas: $31.41

Construction Hoarding Signage on Construction Hoarding $7.88 per lineal metre (+ HST on total lineal metre)
Construction Hoarding Use of space for the display of Construction Hoarding Sign $6.69 per square metre per month (+ HST on total square metre)
Construction Hoarding Retrieval of illegal sign $262.07 per sign + HST
Construction Hoarding Storage Fee of illegal sign $19.65 per day + HST
Construction Hoarding Disposal of illegal sign $65.53 per sign + HST
Construction Hoarding Removal Fee of illegal sign $131.03 per sign + HST
Temporary asphalt construction access ramp (installed by Contractor) $161.51 + HST for the lifetime of the project
Site Service $254.42 per month + HST
Oversize load  


Single Trip: $49.56 per load + HST

Annual Load: $297.35+ HST

Billed through Scarborough office: 416-396-4245


Swing of Boom Application Requirements

In order to process your Swing of Boom application please submit the following:

  1. Completed application form.
  2. Drawings in a PDF format that provide the following information, in metric:
    • Radius of swing of boom and counterweight
    • Base of tower crane
    • All property lines, street lines, sidewalk and curb lines, all street names
    • Outline of existing overhead protection, staging area, if any
    • Site location and municipal address(es)
    • Outline of proposed building(s)
    • Cross section drawings with foundation base and counter weight details stamped by a Professional Engineer licensed in the Province of Ontario

For approval of your application, it will be necessary to:

  1. Provide a certificate of insurance for $2 million with the City of Toronto identified as an additional insured, and containing a cross-liability clause
  2. Obtain a written approval from: Transport Canada, Civil Aviation Services Ontario (CASO)
  3. Obtain a written approval from: Nav Canada, AIS Data Collection Unit and Land Use Office
  4. Tower crane swinging over City sidewalks may be subject to an additional site protection Street Occupation Permit.

Permit Fees

  • Cost of Tower Crane Swing of Boom Permit: $62.32 ($55.15 + $7.17 HST) per day.
  • A separate permit is required for hoisting by means of a Tower Crane: $62.32 ($55.15 + $7.17 HST) per day, unless hoisting within an authorized staging area.

All fees are to be paid prior to permit issuance and subject to change without prior notice.

Application processing time is approximately 12 weeks upon submission of all required information.