As students make their way back to class after the winter break, the Vision Zero school safety campaign aims to help educate both drivers and cyclists on how to be safe around stopped school buses, pedestrian crossovers, school zones and intersections.
School Bus: Don’t pass it.
Cars and bicycles must:
- Stop behind the bus when lights are flashing.
- Go when the lights stop and the bus moves forward.
Crossover: Stop at it.
When nearing a crossover:
- Look for pedestrians and flashing lights.
- Stop and wait until all pedestrians have fully crossed the street.
School Zone: Slow down.
When nearing a school:
- Check your speed.
- Slow down and watch for children.
- Be alert, stay focused.
Intersection: Check it.
Cars and bicycles should:
- Yield to pedestrians when turning at an intersection.
- Turn when the intersection is clear.