Connection or disconnection to the City’s water supply can be requested for:

  • renovation
  • new construction
  • upgrading a shared service (“Y” connection that provides water to two properties) to a single connection

The City does not replace or install water or sewer service connections on private property. This is the property owner’s responsibility.

Where to Apply

Toronto Water Customer Service Counter
North York Civic Centre
5100 Yonge St., 2nd floor

Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Applicants must have all required paperwork and payment with them in order to apply. See the requirements below.