Water Supply By-law
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
The City of Toronto Water Supply By-law (Municipal Code, Chapter 851) defines the roles and responsibilities of both property owners and the City to improve operational efficiency and protect the integrity of the water supply system.
- provides enforcement mechanisms for failure to fulfill the By-law, including:
- obstructions or unauthorized use of fire hydrants
- failure to protect the water supply system
- failure to pay for water use
- allows Toronto Water to recover costs for activities beyond normal service
- mandates the installation of water meters at all properties
- mandates the installation of a backflow prevention device at specific businesses